Dasuquin - cats hate it

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My grandfather recently informed me that his two cats are not eating their canned food. I was a little concerned until grandma told me that she's been sprinkling Dasuquin on their food. I'm assuming she's been sprinkling it on the canned food rather than the dry. It's very difficult to get answers out of either of them. I asked her why the capsules can't be given orally, why do they need to be opened and sprinkled on the food. She doesn't know, she's just doing what the vet told her.

Does Dasuquin have to be sprinkled on the food? Can't the capsules be given orally? If it must be taken with food (or something like that) does anyone have suggestions on what to do? The one cat is naturally picky and hasn't been feeling well (arthritis and possible bone cancer), so now she's even pickier.

Also, is Dasuquin the best option for arthritis?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, I just noticed that no one answered your questions.  First off, I see no reason why it cannot be given in the capsule form...I think it's just probably easier to sprinkle on their food.  Second, Dasoquin is not the only thing to give cats for arthritis, but the next step up is probably going to be prescription.  (actually Dasoquin may be prescription, although I'm pretty sure I've seen it on Amazon.com) 

I used to give my senior cat Cosequin, which is made by the same folks that make Dasoquin, and it's one step down from Dasoquin, and my cat didn't really like it sprinkled on his food either, so I just mixed it in a teeny bit of water first, then mixed that in with his wet food.  That did the trick!  Or perhaps your grandparents could just stir it into their food. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry I missed this thread too, but I was in hopsital at the time so I guess there is an excuse. I also give one of mine Cosequin, and she takes a capsule orally each day. It is making a huge difference to her arthritis, and it is available online. The vet originally told me to sprinkle it, but that was no good, and after a few tries she accepts the capsule.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cat I am fostering, Twiddledee, was just diagnosed with arthritis at the ripe old age of two to three.  The vet gave me some samples of Dasaqin; luckily Tdee likes it just fine on his wet food.  I don't want to even try pilling Tdee but don't see why you couldn't pill the cat.

The vet said Cosequin is like Dasaqin but the latter has a few more (proprietary) supplements.  Coseqin comes chicken/tuna flavored in either capsule (pill the cat or pull it apart and sprinkle on food) or tablet (the cat chews it).

Both are available on Amazon without a presciption for a lot cheaper than in the regular pet stores.  (Pet Smart is selling Cosequin half price through Sunday.)

george and grac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only the label it does say this can be given orally. I checked with my vet and she said that this can be given as a whole capsule. My cat will not eat this on her food either. I do feed her right after I've not had any problems. 

soundoasis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No we've always fed our cats dry and simply give it to them as we would any other capsule pill.  With a cat piller.  It works well and we've never had a problem in the last 25 years of doing rescues and caring for the elderly and in firmed cats that no one else wants.

soundoasis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, if that doesn't work for her or she's not able to use a piller cats also do well on Flexadin Plus for small dogs and cats and also our vet said we could use Flexadin Advanced For Dogs and give just 1 chew a day if our cat didn't like the take of Flexadin Plus since they have slightly different flavors which make them palatable to cats that perhaps won't eat the Flexadin Plus.  And Flexadin seems to be most economical from Chewy.com.

And all of these products are cheaper purchased on line that when purchased from the the vet and none of them require a prescription.

augie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the vet told me the same thing, has to be put into food, not given as a capsule. just mix it into the food (not sprinke on top) and they won't even notice it's there.

bellel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat refused to eat his food with Dasuquin Advanced in it, too, but I've figured out how to trick him. I use freeze dried salmon that comes in cubes (if you decide to go this route, the only brand I recommend against is PureBites... they leave too much skin on their salmon and it turns into whip leather after being freeze dried. It's way too tough in my opinion for cats' tummies and harder to use to mask the Dasuquin Advanced). I use a big pinch bowl and put about a teaspoon of his canned food in it. I squish it and break it up so that it forms a paste. I add water to make it into a gruel (my boy is 13 years old so he needs extra water). I open the capsule and sprinkle it right in the middle. I take the freeze dried meat and crush some of the cubes on top of and around the Dasuquin. I completely cover the sprinkles as much as possible to change the smell to something more appetizing. After he eats the small bowl, i give him the rest of his food. I did this for several weeks and he ate like a champ. He is now eating it with freeze dried turkey. The fishy smell did great, but salmon is a farmed fish and I feel guilty supporting the negative impact it has on our environment. But I think it's a good place to start until you can transition them over to a better meat. Don't get bonito or tuna as both are large fish and thus have large amounts of mercury in them. It didnt take much time to transition him over to the turkey either. I gave him a few on their own to see if he was interested. He was, so his next dose of Dasuquin in his dinner (again, pinch bowl with the gruel and the Dasuquin, then the rest of his food in a normal bowl) had freeze dried turkey in it instead. He loved it. And now that he's on Dasuquin Advanced, he seems to be a lot happier and in less pain from his arthritis. If you want to know the brands I use, just let me know.

Vcalde1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been having the same problem with my senior cat.. he just hates the dasuquin and no matter what I put it in or how I do it, he knows. As I was picking up his thyroid medication (that comes with an oral syringe), the lady at the front desk suggested I mix the dasuquin with a liquid and use the syringe to squirt it into his mouth. He hates it, but at least he's not hurting anymore! I've been able to do this every day. He just drinks a lot of water afterwards.