Dashing out the Door

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any tips on getting a young cat to stop trying to run outside? My cat Charlie (18 month old neutered male) is really becoming a problem. He is, in theory, an indoor cat, has been since he was picked up on the street at 5 weeks of age. The trouble is he's increasingly sneaky about trying to get out - he'll wait until someone isn't paying close attention while going in or out, then run as fast as possible through he open door. He only does this at the back door, so it isn't as bad as it could be - he ends up in our fenced yard and we've always been able to catch him fairly quickly, despite his efforts. I still worry about him going over the fence, though, and we live near a busy street. Also, some members of my family can't seem to remember to watch for him, and I'm the one who has to drop whatever I'm doing and go get him. I would love some advice from people who have dealt with this. I don't remember any of our other cats doing this, even as kittens.

peekasoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe spray him with water whenever he tries to run out the door? If you can associate the outside with bad or scary things, maybe he will stop trying. My cats FEAR the outdoors because they have always been inside cats.

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dashing out, try three dashers. Sound like raindeer don't they? But some times they make it. Sometimes they don't. They have run into my foot several times. It is in their way, not flung at them.

I don't have time for water fetching either. It is dash away, dash away, dash away all, at my house. They fear nothing.

When one ends up in kitty cat jail maybe they will tell the others and that will help. Peanut who came from kitty cat jail doesn't know that will cause you to go. Not yet. He was dumped because he was male and his sisters and mother weren't. Thus no spaying or nuetering needed.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i had this problem with my previous cat nightshade we tried everything to try and stop her from running out of the front door but failed, so i have no idea what advise to give you, thankfully my current cat bast dosnt do this, instead he just goes behind the curtains when he hears the doorbell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to try and keep him way from the door for now, and hope he eventually gives up trying.

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten used to do this quite often, but now not so much. At the place I live currently its not bad, because its an apartment flat in a house, so we have the door to our apartment, and then the door to the house. So, if he gets out it's just into the stair well. One thing I did (that I think kind of scared him - therefore no dashing outside) is I put him in his harness and leash (incase he tried to run away) and picked him up and stood on the front step when it was raining. He got a few drops on him and freaked out, so I think he got the idea outside = cold and wet. 

luhhjane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat used to do the same thing when he was younger. When he was about 9 months old, I bought a harness and leash for him! He didn't take much to actually "walking" with us outdoors, but that way we could take him outside and hold onto the leash, with no fear of him bolting away.

It really did take care of his curiosity, and he has not bolted for the door since we started leash training. He's a year old now! I think the fact that he knows what's outside is enough, and he's happy to stay indoors :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat used to do the same thing when he was younger. When he was about 9 months old, I bought a harness and leash for him! He didn't take much to actually "walking" with us outdoors, but that way we could take him outside and hold onto the leash, with no fear of him bolting away.

It really did take care of his curiosity, and he has not bolted for the door since we started leash training. He's a year old now! I think the fact that he knows what's outside is enough, and he's happy to stay indoors :)

Thanks for the tip! I've thought about leash training before, but I was worried it would only make him more interested in going outside.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about getting a Ssscat and placing it near your door? Any time he goes near it, he gets a spray. Maybe he will learn to stay away from it. Search on YouTube how Ssscat works. Worth a shot. 30 bucks now, or hundreds in potential vet bills if, Heaven forbid, something happen to him outside.

Good luck either way!

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 I live in an apartment on the 18th floor, so he can only get into the hallway, but Franklin was nose to door whenever he heard my keys. If I had anything in my hands There was no way I could keep him in. I bought a folding screen and configured it so that I have a 4 foot DMZ between the door and the screen. :)

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any tips on getting a young cat to stop trying to run outside?
Don't let them get out, chastise them if they do with firm "NO"s, and in time they'll have no inclination in the first place.   

Wesley, my adventurous boy, was a HUGE door dasher and wants to explore EVERYTHING.   He still does, but the front door unless you leave it open for several minutes he just looks outside cautiously.  

Unfortunately, a relative left the door to my attached garage open, thinking that its no big deal the cats can't get out with the garage door closed.   Well, Wesley explored quite a bit before I realized, got him out, but now he tries to dash for the door that goes to the garage to check out all the interesting things he missed.

Not gunna happen though as there are WAAAY too many chemicals in there.  Sorry boy!  Request denied!  

Last edited:

cleo123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 I live in an apartment on the 18th floor, so he can only get into the hallway, but Franklin was nose to door whenever he heard my keys. If I had anything in my hands There was no way I could keep him in. I bought a folding screen and configured it so that I have a 4 foot DMZ between the door and the screen. :)
Hi, not to hijack this thread, but I'm going through the same problem. What is a "DMZ?"

Also, what kind of screening door? Can you say how it functions for you? I was sort of thinking of something like this (In my mind, a baby gate).

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Momto3!!

If you're willing / able to invest the extra time needed, you might find clicker training your cat helpful, as it will give you and Charlie (love that name!) a way to communicate. I would recommend Naughty No More!
by Marilyn Krieger, a well-known cat behavorist. The book is rather awesome and there's a chapter devoted just to door darting.

The only other suggestions I can make is persistently discouraging the behavior with a firm "No." and removing him to another room each time he runs for the door, and being really paranoid about where he is whenever the door is open.

Good luck! Only one of my cats heads for the door when I do, but that's mostly because I've begun taking him for rides with me.  :-)  (Ralph is an extraordinary cat and the apple of my eye.)

AC

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I installed an adjustable window screen at the bottom of my doorway to forestall door dashers. It's 18 inches high and I just step over it, but the door dasher since she was dashing, ran headlong into it. Since she is used to having a screen in front of her, it only took a couple of crashes before she stopped trying.

This was many years ago, and I have no door dashers now, but the screen is still there. I installed it with hinges, so I can open it, if needed.

Also, my cats are all harness trained. I take them out into a fenced yard, supervised only. They wear their harnesses and drag their long lengths of lightweight polyrope behind them.

They do not try to go out at any other time, nor do they beg to go out. They even come in, when I tell them it's time to come in. This is because they know they will get to go out again. I don't take them out in bad weather, just during the nice time of year mostly, though on crisp winter days I do take them out to play in the snow for a few minutes. ( I shovel a path through the yard for them)

But you might try the screen in the bottom part of the door, it sure works for me and mine. :)

PS the ssscat might be a solution, too.

Last edited:

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, not to hijack this thread, but I'm going through the same problem. What is a "DMZ?"

Also, what kind of screening door? Can you say how it functions for you? I was sort of thinking of something like this (In my mind, a baby gate).

DMZ means Demilitarized Zone. The screen is four feet inside the doorway in the hall, creating a buffer space, or DMZ.