Dasequin For Cat With Bladder Inflammation - D Mannose/slippery Elm?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you are happy with your vet! That is always a plus.

For the slippery elm, I buy min in powder form
I take 1/2 cup of cold water and place in a saucepan. I add 3/4-1 teaspoon of slippery elm powder. I mix and allow to sit for 1-2 minutes so it can start to absorb the water. I then turn on a low heat and whisk until it begin to boil and thicken slightly. I then remove from the heat and allow to cool. I place it in a small container and give 3/4-1 t. of the syrup. I am only giving it once a day now for the maintenance dosage. You can give it up to 3x a day. I keep it in the fridge for one week, then make a new batch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks shadowsrescue shadowsrescue
Uuuggghhh so we got rid of the rug and I sprayed the concrete with the enzyme cleaner and scrubbed with a scrub brush. We have a spare bed in the basement and that is set up on another one of the same area rugs she was peeing on. The security camera captured her sniffing and sniffing the concrete and then walking over and peeing on the other rug. Honestly......so is this purely a scent thing where she’s smelling old pee and wanting to pee? It’s funny that she didn’t pee in the area of concrete she was smelling but took the time to walk four more steps and pee on another rug. This is just crazy. I read up in removing urine from concrete and they suggest this stuff from Home Depot called TSP cleaner so I guess I’ll be running to get that shortly. I moved one of the extra litter boxes back to the middle of the floor where she was peeing in the rug we tossed out. I’m definately going to get the cat litter with the cat attract in it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this C cat princesses . She must really like the feel of that rug. I think I would close the door to that room so she can't get in.

One of my semi feral cats that I brought inside when I moved last year, started to spray last fall. Usually he would just spray the outside of the litter box, but a few times he sprayed a wall and peed on an old blanket. He had a low level UTI, but antibiotics did nothing to improve it. Instead he got antibiotic diarrhea for months! We started him on a low dose of Prozac. It worked beautifully within a few days. I did have to readjust the dosage after a few months when he started to spray again after a stressful incident. I am now in the process of weaning him off.

I think I mentioned before I had another male cat on Prozac too. It really changed his personality, but the major problem was he had urinary retention due to the Prozac. One of the side effects of the anti depressants for cats ( amitriptiline/Elavil or Prozac) is urinary retention. He was holding his pee for 40 hours. We were keeping a close eye on him and he blocked. It was a really difficult time. We took him off the Prozac and all went back to normal. This is my reason for wanting my other cat off Prozac. I am now trying a new brand of CBD oil by Charlotte's Web that others will urinary issues use. If he starts to spray again after weaning him off Prozac, I will have to put him back on and find the lowest dose possible.

I have used Cat Attract too. It worked for awhile. Just a few more thoughts... is there anything in the room where the litter boxes are located that would frighten her? Loud noises, access to a window where she might see another cat, too much/too little litter, boxes not clean enough? Just a few thoughts that come to mind.

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is so frustrating and you are doing so much to try and help her.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue this is all taking place in our semi unfinished basement. The majority of the litter boxes are in the basement. There is a jumbo litter box in the first floor laundry room and I’m not putting one in the second floor because I have all those bedroom doors closed. I’d rather have this taking place in the basement vs wall to wall carpet with pad to deal with.
So the one cat you have in Prozac it has helped him to not pee all over? Does it change their personality in a good or bad way? The only problem that comes to mind is the other cat Mulan. She’s a bully and a pain in the butt. She chases Aurora sometimes yet they eat side by side with no problems. It’s really weird with those two. Mulan will lay right next to one of the litter boxes and when I see that she gets moved away immediately but obviously I can’t be everywhere at all times. Mulan is on atopica which is an immune suppressant for severe skin allergies and also allergy shots twice a week. I dint want to medicate Mulan anymore than I already am. We had tried the amlyptriotalyne for her itching before I took her to the Dermo and that did kinda sedate her a little but she stopped spchasing aurora which was nice and then Aurora was more relaxed. I guess Aurora is always on edge not knowing when Mulan is going to come after her next. It sounds worse than it is but Mulan is 4 and Aurora is about 11 we think and just doesn’t ever want to play and I think some of the chasing is Mulan trying to play. There has never been biting or growling from Mulan but Aurora will boss and slap her and then jump up to high ground to get away from her. I am crazy clean freak so the litter boxes are scooped morning and night and whenever else I see someone made a potty. I dump the boxes monthly and sanitize and out fresh litter somit cant possibly be that. I tried to buy cheap cat litter today but all of it has something mixed in for deodorizing so I didn’t buy anything of the cheap stuff. I talked to the guy at the pet store about the yesterdays news and he talked me out of it he said it’s gross and like a sponge and makes the cats paws reek like pee. Plus it was $20 for a bag and I figured they wouldn’t like it anyways. I did buy a small box of the litter with the cat attract in it and a jug of the store brand they had of the unscented clumping. Mulan jumps in the box and lays down....honestly....I can’t win. Mulan is more my girl and Aurora is very close to my husband. Mulan gets jealous and if I a, with Aurora she will wait until I leave the room and go after her with a chase. But this isn’t anything new it’s been going on for 4 years now so I dint see how all of a sudden this is upsetting Aurora. That’s why I thought maybe Aurora just needs something to take the edge off somshes a little more relaxed and chill. Would the amlyptriotalne or Prozac do that? Keep in mind too Aurora was previously diabetic so we have to be careful with anything that could take her out of remission. Tonight she peed in her private litter box which is around the corner in the basement but she stood up the whole time and peed on the pee pad splash guard I have attached to a piece of clear corrugated plastic I got at Home Depot. She usually starts semi squatting and sometimes stands and her tail twitches but my husband said she stood the whole time. Ugh I just don’t know. The lady at the store I shop at loaned me her bottle of eco 88 she swears by that so I sprayed the cement all over and let it dry and gave a second application. Hopefully that works to ridnthe smell of whatever soaked into the concrete. I am mentally exhausted I only have two cats I dint know how you manage with a bunch More!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Prozac worked on the cat who sprays and it worked very quickly. He was on 2.5 mg. It did make him very very sleepy and lethargic for weeks. I chose to give him the medication at night so during the day he wasn't completely out of it. It did help him, but the longer he was on it, the more his personality changed. He was not as social or vocal. Many of his sweet characteristics disappeared. I lived with it since it stopped the spraying. Now I just need to see if he can handle life without it!

The other kitty on Prozac was the bully cat. He went kind of crazy after our dog passed. He could just not get a grip. He is a really big cat and it took him almost 8 weeks to adjust to the Prozac. It made him so lethargic. It did stop his aggression, but he was such a different cat. I didn't even realize how much it changed him until after he was taken off. So it's all a catch 22. You just have to take the good with the bad.

Your description of her peeing, sounds like spraying. When the tail switches with butt in the air it is often spraying. It can be something called "elevator butt peeing". When they put their butt in the air. This can be because she is a big cat, or sometimes cats with arthritis have trouble squatting. With the spraying, she is marking the box as hers and she wants to be able to smell it when she re enters the box. Cats like the scent of their pee and poo and it often gives them comfort. Some cats that are insecure will do this over and over to spread their scent so they can feel better.

It does sound like their is some cat tension. Mulan chasing her from the box is not a good thing. When cats get afraid or upset, they will urinate else where.

You certainly can try something like amitriptyline or Prozac, but know that it can take 4-6+ weeks for results and it will make the cat really really tired. It does get better after 4-6 weeks. It's just hard to see them so out of it. Giving the meds at night does help. I also would find the absolute lowest dose possible. It's easier to start low and work your way up then to start too high.

If you do start amitriptyline or Prozac, I would still continue giving her the d mannose, corn silk and slippery elm. I think you mentioned she has IBD? If so the slippery elm is so good for that too.

I would just mix the litter attract with your regular litter or you can just use it straight as long as you bought the bag and not the small bottle of mix in. Yesterday's News is the absolute worst litter. Cisco had to use it after his pu surgery. He hated it and hated hated it more. After each pee, it had to be dumped. It was a mess. I use Dr. Elsey's Precious cat litter unscented. When using litter attract, I just buy the big (expensive!) bag. I always keep some on hand.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue I'm honestly going to loose my mind.
I remember using the amitriptyline with Mulan very early on to diagnose her extreme licking. The vet thought it was more like OCD type behavior but we tried and that did nothing to control her excessive licking. But I remember the time she was on it, Aurora was much more at ease because Mulan wasn't as crazy chasing her at times. I just feel like my hands are tied with Mulan being on the atopica 5 days per week. That's already a big immune suppressant drug, plus she's on allergy shots 2x per week - I feel like I'm already maxing out her body on meds. I don't think the feliway multi cat has done anything to help drastically. Maybe I should try the regular feliway and see if that one makes any difference.
So far, Aurora only is getting the liquid corn silk direct by mouth and the d mannose which I put in her water dishes and also mix into her raw food. She wasn't taking the slippery elm at all in baby food so that has sorta fallen to the side for now. I saw there is an animal liquid slippery elm, thinking about that possibly to try.
I used that cleaner ECO-88 and thought it was great, I didn't smell anything in the rug at all. Aurora didn't sniff the basement cement area at all yesterday. She has been using the litter box consistently yesterday however today at 1145 the security camera got her walking past it. I quickly went to the basement to check the litter boxes and yep, she peed on the rug that the spare bed is on.
She's acting normal otherwise, eyes look good, eating, coming for petting. I don't get it at all. I'm beyond confused. I'd gladly pay for an ultrasound but I don't feel this is medical. She's peeing large volumes when she does, so I'm not thinking anything bad is going on.

The vet didn't say anything about Prozac, she seems to be favoring Amitriptyline but didn't go over dosing at all. We're supposed to have a call tomorrow for me to provide an update. Aurora hasn't been too interested in the litter box with the regular cat attract litter or the box with the cheaper store brand clumping litter for the experiment the vet wanted me to try with offering other litters. She keeps using the litter box she normally uses which is around the corner in the basement with the precious cat dust free blue bag litter.

I'm at a complete and total loss. She seems totally normal otherwise.