Darwin's Pet Food + Bone Content

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question for those the feed this brand....

When I looked at the composition of the chicken and turkey flavors, bone was basically the first ingredient in each. I wondered how they could be listed as a complete food while having that high of bone content!

See chicken and turkey tabs: Natural Selections™ Raw Cat Food - Darwin's Pet Food

When I clicked on complete nutritional data, I noticed that the composition of their chicken food had changed.

Chicken: https://www.darwinspet.com/wp-conte...Cat-Formula-NSC-CH02-2.9.18-print-version.pdf

Does anyone have a picture they can share of the ingredients on the chicken cat food? The pictures on Darwin's website won't let you zoom in. Thanks so much!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I noticed the chicken ingredient discrepancy. Darwin's has gotten some flak about the bone content of their foods. When I first saw their ingredient list change I thought they had taken steps to adjust the bone content. But with the discrepancy I'm not so sure.

The food can be nutritionally adequate (that is, a complete food) even if it has a high bone content. The problem is more that some cats will become constipated on a high bone diet.

See my post here for more info: Anyone Here Ever Feed "rad Cat Raw Food" Brand?

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been tempted many times to order from Darwin's because of the convenience factor and low price. There's a reason for the cheap price though: they use a lot of chicken backs, necks, and giblets, which are typically the parts that are hard to sell for human consumption. That's why the high bone content, and it also means that the diet is very limited. The same is true btw of Nature Variety.

I'm sure cats can do very well on such food, but I just can't rid myself of the idea that the whole animal grinds, appropriately balanced, are so much better nutritionally.