Darwin's Natural Selections Raw Cat Food

TheBoy'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Does anyone have any experience with Darwin's Natural Selections Raw Cat Food? Do you have to add supplements to it? I was under the impression from reading the website that you didn't, but now I'm thinking I misunderstood. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never fed Darwin's but their site says it's "complete and balanced," so you should be all set.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m with lisahe lisahe . The three flavors look complete based on the ingredient list for each. The website also provides complete nutritional information. Chicken and turkey have bone, so I’d watch for potential constipation; the lamb has calcium carbonate as its calcium source.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I'm with Tobermory Tobermory on that suggestion about the bone! My recollection (which is old and could be faulty for many reasons) is that some of Darwin's foods have fairly high bone so if there's any concern about constipation it's worth calling the company to get the percentage.

Ten percent is considered fairly standard but seems to be a problem for some cats (including one of ours), though some foods may be considerably higher. I'd be particularly concerned about Darwin's turkey food, where turkey necks are the first ingredient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheBoy'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m with lisahe lisahe . The three flavors look complete based on the ingredient list for each. The website also provides complete nutritional information. Chicken and turkey have bone, so I’d watch for potential constipation; the lamb has calcium carbonate as its calcium source.
Oh ok, that's what I thought when I saw the nutrition info. Just wanted to make sure I'm interperetting things correctly! He does get constipated...he has IBS. I've been putting miralax in his food like I did when I gave him wet food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh ok, that's what I thought when I saw the nutrition info. Just wanted to make sure I'm interperetting things correctly! He does get constipated...he has IBS. I've been putting miralax in his food like I did when I gave him wet food.
Definitely check on the bone levels then if there's any inkling that bone might contribute. As Tobermory said, the lamb should be fine, though.

The two commercial raw foods that we feed our cat who gets constipated are Stella & Chewy's Selects (no bone at all) and Primal pork (6% bone).

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fed mine the Chicken for quite a while and never had any issues, one of my Cats has IBD and she didn't even have a problem with it.

One thing to be aware of, unless they changed their packaging you may have issues with it. I stopped ordering from them because I would get a few packages in just about every order than had a slit, small hole, or were just improperly sealed and they would leak while thawing, plus the meat would oxidize.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's complete.
I asked them some time ago and they said Turkey and Chicken have 10% bone. They also say they consider more boneless options as it seems that's what people want. But nothing added since.
We buy their lamb and my cats are super happy with it, we use other companies for boneless chicken and turkey (Natural Pet Pantry, Wild Coast Raw), although I admit it would be super convenient to use one provider only.. although on the other hand, I don't want my cats to get used to one brand only, because well, you never know.
I never had any issues with packaging, maybe they did change it? Hopefully.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I'm with Tobermory Tobermory on that suggestion about the bone! My recollection (which is old and could be faulty for many reasons) is that some of Darwin's foods have fairly high bone so if there's any concern about constipation it's worth calling the company to get the percentage.

Ten percent is considered fairly standard but seems to be a problem for some cats (including one of ours), though some foods may be considerably higher. I'd be particularly concerned about Darwin's turkey food, where turkey necks are the first ingredient.
We don't feed Darwins, but we do feed a butchers blend type food that's mostly necks, wings or feet, and gizzards, so to this we add a heaping helping of liver and heart that seems to keep things "moving along".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheBoy'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Unfortunately, I had to put my cat down this morning. He had an ulcer, internal bleeding and severe anemia.