Dark area and scab?

snakeytron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody,

So below you’ll find a picture of my 7 months male cat. He has this dark area under his nose that has been there for a month now. Somedays it’s less (but still there) and other days it’s really dark like in the picture. Sometimes it scabs off but reappear again. And also sometimes I find a tiny scab on his nose but it peels off easily then reappear after a week or two.

I have taken him to multiple vets. Some say it’s acne and others say it might be allergies. But none of the vets gave me a clear answer and a cure. One of the vets advised me to use chlorhexidine, I did try it, it only removes the tiny scab on his nose but not the area on his lip.

I have no idea what to do..
my next step is to stop feeding him chicken because I thought he might be allergic to it..
Help?

19F76C8A-A4FE-457E-977E-471440B2328C.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Are you feeding canned food in clean every time ceramic or glass dishes? Eliminating chicken might not be a bad idea. Is his water bowl cleaned daily and the water fresh daily and filtered?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Although not impossible for a chicken allergy to only affect his mouth/nose, it typically would also present with itchiness/scratching to his face/head, as well as other parts of his body. So, first, try the above suggestions regarding food/water dishes and cleaning.

If you leave out dry food for long periods of time, it too can present problems. When cats eat dry food there is almost no chance they aren't leaving saliva behind in the uneaten portion. That saliva will escalate the development of bacteria that could cause him issues when he goes back to eat from that same dish over and over again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snakeytron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He eats canned food + boiled chicken in stainless steel bowls. And yes, I clean them both his water dish and food dish very well…

maybe I should switch to ceramic? But I always thought steel is better…