Dangers of too much Calcium?

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all, every so often, I re-visit the largely Frankenprey diet I'm feeding Ava and Kato, to make sure it is ok and I'm doing it 'right' while continually improving my knowledge.

So, I've not had my mind on calcium for a while, dealing with other issues like getting them to eat organs and doing food trials.  And the one thing they ate pretty well was their bone-in meals.  I actually feed boney meals every day, averaging one rabbit per cat each 2 weeks (1/14th of a rabbit each day per cat).  Because I couldn't find the actual percentage break-down of bone in rabbit, I went with a 30% assumption for the whole animal (carcass for human meals, so not including organs or innards, heads, feet etc).  And I also went with the assumption that if the cats stripped the bones without eating them at some meals (which they do), and crunched on through them at others (they do this too), this was a 'natural' form of self regulating - I'm thinking not all gets eaten in the wild at every meal.  

Poos are ok and pretty consistent.  (Now thankfully, after all that effort with Ava's illness!)

Their typical diet is 70g(Kato)-100g(Ava) meat (variety), a portion of dried liver to just under 10% (I calculated and weighed, now it's by eye), 1/14th of a rabbit.  In addition, about 1/2 can of food (can is single serve size), plus a handful of ziwipeak 'dry raw' for Ava (Kato hates the stuff, but eats no problems without the 'sweetener' - Ava likes an 'apperitif' before getting into her meal).

However, I'm thinking about adding some Calcium powder (if they'll eat it) to meals as a 'safety net'.  So my question is, is too much calcium dangerous?  Is it just the constipation issue I need to monitor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I have one more question - how do you know if your cat is ingesting and digesting sufficient calcium?  Would this show up reliably in a blood test?

Thanks!!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My gut says it's largely a constipation concern.But I know from other threads for some kitties who have underlying health issues the balance of phosphorus to calcium is a concern. Which is why some raw feeders use egg shell. Regarding blood work, no I see idea.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After a bit of research my take on it is that excess calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia) would be indicative of an underlying health problem. Excess calcium is excreted in the urine, feces and sweat so excessive amounts in the blood would indicate malabsorption of the calcium rather than a dietary excess.  I couldn't find a source that listed high dietary calcium as a cause of hypercalcemia but I think you should ask your vet to be sure.

As for the dangers of high dietary calcium, it seems it is something to be avoided as it can interfer with the absorption of other nutrients and possibly increase the risk of kidney damage. But none of the source give any idea of how much would be too much.

http://www.petco.com/Content/ArticleList/Article/33/2/256/Dangerous-Supplements-for-Cats.aspx
Calcium is essential in bone growth and maintaining healthy, strong teeth; it is one of the most needed minerals in your pet's diet. Calcium works hand in hand with vitamin D and can't be absorbed without vitamin D in the diet. Sources of calcium include sardines (a cat favorite), green vegetables and milk products.

An excess of calcium in your cat's diet will result in painful bone deformities, bone spurs and calcium deposits. It can also cause problems with his production and absorption of phosphorus, zinc, iron and iodine. This condition can become even worse if your pet also has an excess of vitamin D.
My gut says it's largely a constipation concern.But I know from other threads for some kitties who have underlying health issues the balance of phosphorus to calcium is a concern. Which is why some raw feeders use egg shell. Regarding blood work, no I see idea.
The issue with the calcium/phosphorous ratio has nothing to do with any underlying health problems. It is a concern with all cats. Phosphorus binds with calcium and makes it unavailable for absorption so there must be more free calcium in the diet than phosphorous to avoid calcium deficiency. Also the use of eggshell has nothing to do with the calcium/phosphorous ratio except in that it is one of several possible calcium sources that may be used.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The issue with the calcium/phosphorous ratio has nothing to do with any underlying health problems. It is a concern with all cats. Phosphorus binds with calcium and makes it unavailable for absorption so there must be more free calcium in the diet than phosphorous to avoid calcium deficiency. Also the use of eggshell has nothing to do with the calcium/phosphorous ratio except in that it is one of several possible calcium sources that may be used.
I'd just add: "it is one of the several possible calcium sources that may be used" ... because we can accurately calculate the Ca:p ratio when using this source of calcium.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh sorry if I gave wrong information.

Why would a cat owner need to be really concerned about calcium to phosphorous--kidney issues?

And yes, using egg shell you can accurate calculate the Ca:p ratio.

Is that why Tripe is so useful?  Or, am I really mixing up apples and oranges?