Dandruff!....

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I just want to ask a little advice on cat dandruff....i have noticed. I have checkedhom over as best i can for fleas and cant see any or any dirt and hes always treated with the one from the vets but he has little white flakes on him and he like his head massaged....when I do it leaves white flakes in his fur! What can I do?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
White flakes can mean an underlining illness but it can also mean just dry skin. It can be caused by dehydration...is your cat drinking enough? Poor diet...needs omega 3. Regular brushing will help get rid of it. My long haired cat has dandruff which my vet checked on a scheduled visit a few months ago but it was just dry skin. I have brushed her almost daily and now it is just about gone. If your cat is due for a vet visit, ask the vet to check.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. This is my concern that my cat is long air but hates being brushed. So I can't only every now and again.
Yes he drinks a fair bit so don' think it be that.

He eats a mixture of kibble and wet food x

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Organic coconut oil is good for many skin complaints in cats and other things. Google it and see what you think

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has asthma and chronic dandruff is a symptom of her asthma.

I've tried literally everything and nothing stops the dandruff - high quality allergen-free food, a water fountain that she drinks from regularly, omega fish oil, brushing regularly and bathing with a moisturizing shampoo, etc.

My vet said her asthma isn't bad enough to warrant risking the side effects that come with asthma medication (right now we just x ray her lungs once a year and if her symptoms escalate, we'll start her on meds) and so I've just accepted that she's a flaky girl. Dandruff in itself isn't dangerous, but it can be a sign of more serious issues. I think feline diabetes can also cause dandruff. It might be worth a trip to the vet to get blood work done if the dandruff gets worse or if you see other symptoms start to appear.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My older cat, Pie, does have this problem for years, she drink a lot of water and brushing is not helping. She does snore a lot when she sleep, is that a symptom of asthma? Or is it only normal for an aging cat? Tink84 Tink84 How old is your cat?

Last edited:

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, snoring can be a symptom of respiratory/allergy issues. Coughing and wheezing are the main symptoms of asthma but my cat with asthma also snores regularly. Snoring can also be a symptom of an esophageal issue.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl had an issue with dandruff which cleared up almost completely when I switched her to grain free food. I have tried reintroducing it several times and her skin issues always come back so for sure it is related to grains.