Dandruff/dry Hair

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi friends! My tuxedo boy (neutered, 5 yo) has recently had a dandruff outbreak on his back right above his tail. No baldness but the hair seems to come out if I pet there. Also, the hair seems grayish and feels really dry. He’s a chunky boy (14 lb) so could this just be a spot he can’t reach to groom? Could it be lack of grooming and just dirty skin/hair? What can I wash that area with that’s safe for his skin? At what point should he see a vet? The rest of his coat is dandruff free, silky and healthy. I’ll try to snap a pic when I get home. Thanks so much!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! All my cats seem to have collected dandruff right where you are talking about. And, that area also seems to be where the most hair comes out when I pet them. Lack of grooming probably plays a role, as I am pretty sure it did/does with mine.

I have simply ensured that while brushing I cover that area maybe a little more than other areas on their bodies, and really haven't done anything else for it. The brushing helps to spread normal body oils through that area - at least it did/does for them. But, they still all have/had some dandruff there no matter what - although I think brushing helped reduce it a bit. That area is also where I always get the most hair from when brushing.

Maybe some members have found resolutions for this, but for me I didn't place a whole lot of emphasis on it as they seem to fine otherwise. My cats are/were indoor only, in case that might make a difference.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been wiping mine down with a wet cloth, along with brushing. The vet had pointed it out to me, because its where she can't reach, and the dandruff has gotten pretty bad, and there's some matting. I took drastic measures and cut some of the hair off around the tail so I can clean it better. it looks funny, but its working. It'd probably be just as well if I simply just wiped her down on her back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like it’s not a big deal and I will just keep brushing the area. Stacy do you put anything on the wet cloth? I suppose I will just try to maintain unless it starts to seem like it’s bothering him.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just plain water I use. I'll be brushing her and then pet her then pet her with the cloth, she barely notices what I'm doing

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine has had bad dandruff in the same place. Try red salmon oil, one spray on his food once a day. If he wont eat the food as mine wont, you could try a little coconut oil on a cotton bud (Q-tip), part the fur and dap it on the skin. Do this all over the dry area, only a little on each place then massage it onto the skin. It will leave the coat a bit greasy for a couple of days. I did this for the first time last weekend and there is a noticeable difference.