Daily Vomit- Dry Food Issue?

LivGrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

In short: My cat throws up undigested dry food about once a day. He will do so for about a month then stop doing it for a few months, do it for a month again, stop doing it for a few months, and so on. No weight loss, no other issues.

I have a cat who is about 4 years old now. He has eaten dry food his entire life but he will go through about month long periods where he throws up pretty much daily. It is generally undigested food that he throws up and then a little pile of liquid right after. He is eating normally and behaving normally. There are no other issues with him. I mentioned it to the vet once but she said that some cats just throw up more often than others. I have been feeding him wet food lately and he keeps that down perfectly fine. (I'm becoming convinced he's just throwing up so he gets to eat wet food instead of dry :lol:)

I initially thought it was a hairball issue because he would throw up about three times and then throw up a HUGE hairball. But he would keep throwing up for days after that. I've tried Catlax, hairball food, and hairball treats. It is just weird because it is not a continual problem. He will do it for a month, be fine for two months, and then do it again. It's like a weird cycle. I am not that concerned just because he isn't loosing weight and he is acting like his normal happy self. He isn't lethargic or anything either. I'm just curious about what is happening and how to fix it. I have changed foods around a lot trying to find something that will work but I take plenty of time transitioning between foods so I don't think the transition is causing the vomiting. He can be on the same food for months and then start throwing it up.

My other cat eats the same food as him and has no issues. I have no house plants or anything else that he could get into that could cause any problems. All his vet exams and tests have always been normal and no underlying issues have ever been found.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this with their cat and if so, did you find out what caused it? What did you do to help stop it? Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

TV Dinner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had my cat on a mix of wet and dry food for years before going all wet and he threw up once every few months, at most. I would be really worried if it was every day especially if it's the same food and he cycles throwing up every day for a month with not throwing up at all. Have you had him checked at a vet?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So, I would guess that this could very well be due to hairballs. A simple trick is to routinely give him a dab of butter/margarine, if he will eat it. Or, add a drop or two of olive oil to his food on a regular basis. Feeding more wet food than dry food will also help - not only with the hairballs, but as a way to use the olive oil if you should want to go that route. Since he throws up after the hairball, it probably just means that not all of the hair is being thrown up, so his body is still trying to process what is left of it.

Regular brushings will help to minimize the amount of hair he can ingest.

It is possible that there is something in the dry food that over time upsets his stomach. But, I would go down the hairball issue as your first source to resolve the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LivGrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses.

Yes I did bring it up with my vet before but she didn't seem concerned at all. She said he seemed healthy and as long as he isn't losing weight or acting lethargic or anything like that then it is not an issue.

I am hoping it is due to hairballs and nothing serious. I try to brush him and my other cat pretty often. He grooms himself and my other cat quite a bit. I will have to try using butter and/or oil to see how that goes. I have never heard of that before. Thanks for the suggestion! I am going to do a bit more research into different types of food that have limited ingredients and hopefully that will help if it is not a hairball issue. It always seems like it happens as soon as I start using a new bag of food. Even though it is the exact same brand and type of food. I've been trying to think of reasons that would happen but it doesn't make any sense to me.

It isn't really a problem to feed him wet food. It's a bit more inconvenient but it would definitely be worth it if it would make him feel better. My other cat would eat constantly if he could so I have to find creative spots to put this cat's food where my other one can't reach it.

Thank you all for your responses! I will definitely have to try out more hairball control tricks and see if they work. Thanks!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the dry food is hard for them to digest on an empty stomach. Mingo will always vomit his breakfast up if it was dry food. So I've been feeding them a Sheba pate in the morning. It's soft and in a smaller quantity, and they don't throw up. Then I feed them the dry at lunch.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

In short: My cat throws up undigested dry food about once a day. He will do so for about a month then stop doing it for a few months, do it for a month again, stop doing it for a few months, and so on. No weight loss, no other issues.

I have a cat who is about 4 years old now. He has eaten dry food his entire life but he will go through about month long periods where he throws up pretty much daily. It is generally undigested food that he throws up and then a little pile of liquid right after. He is eating normally and behaving normally. There are no other issues with him. I mentioned it to the vet once but she said that some cats just throw up more often than others. I have been feeding him wet food lately and he keeps that down perfectly fine. (I'm becoming convinced he's just throwing up so he gets to eat wet food instead of dry :lol:)

I initially thought it was a hairball issue because he would throw up about three times and then throw up a HUGE hairball. But he would keep throwing up for days after that. I've tried Catlax, hairball food, and hairball treats. It is just weird because it is not a continual problem. He will do it for a month, be fine for two months, and then do it again. It's like a weird cycle. I am not that concerned just because he isn't loosing weight and he is acting like his normal happy self. He isn't lethargic or anything either. I'm just curious about what is happening and how to fix it. I have changed foods around a lot trying to find something that will work but I take plenty of time transitioning between foods so I don't think the transition is causing the vomiting. He can be on the same food for months and then start throwing it up.

My other cat eats the same food as him and has no issues. I have no house plants or anything else that he could get into that could cause any problems. All his vet exams and tests have always been normal and no underlying issues have ever been found.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this with their cat and if so, did you find out what caused it? What did you do to help stop it? Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
Can it be worms?... Maybe a good idea to check.

LivGrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has been checked for worms and he is all good. He hasn't been sick since I've started feeding him wet food a few days ago. He hasn't touched the dry food I have left out for him though. Maybe he'll just be a soft food kitty from now on. Thanks everyone!

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I wouldn't trust a vet that says vomiting daily for a month is ok. Vomiting for 2 days should be alarming. Usually dry food helps with hairballs more than wet food, the fact that the cat is more receptive to wet food could be down to ingredients. I'd check the ingredients to see if there is something in the dry food, that is not in the wet food, that maybe causes irritation. It could even be the quantity of grains / carbs. Wet food usually has less of those.

LivGrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was also surprised that the previous vet acted like it was no big deal. I have tried so many different types of dry food that I can't even remember them all. I have tried grain free, hairball, sensitive stomach, and plenty of others but it never seems to make much of a difference. I would love to narrow it down and see if something in particular is bothering him but I'm having a hard time. Maybe he's just an oddball haha

I took him to a vet last week and they said his exam and all his bloodwork was normal. The vet wants to test him for pancreatitis so I will be bringing him in later this week for that. The vet prescribed omeprazole in case it was an ulcer causing his issues and some Royal Canin protein food. The vet also wrote me a script for Ondansetron HCL which is apparently for nausea and vomiting. He has not been sick in a few days and the vet never told me she would be prescribing him that. It was definitely not the best vet appointment. They called me to bring him in earlier than his appointment since he was sick which was nice, got him there and was told they were behind on appointments because they were so busy and the vet was going to lunch at 1 so she wouldn't be able to see him until after my scheduled appointment anyway, couldn't get a straight answer out of them why they prescribed the Ondansetron (I didn't know it was for nausea/vomiting until I got home and looked it up), I didn't even get to talk to the vet aside from a few minutes on the phone because it was a drop-off/pick-up appointment due to COVID (even though I had to go inside when he was done to pay for everything anyway), when I did talk to her she mentioned the Omeprazole but not the other medication, she said they would call me about 20 minutes after she called when they were ready for me to come get him, didn't call for about 1.5 hours and said they were waiting for me and asked where I was because the vet said I was there, and I have to bring him back next week for the pancreatitis test just because they didn't have the conjugate to test him available so I will be paying for another appointment along with the test just because they did not have the conjugate in stock. The prices at the vet are insane since it is a chain. I paid about $250 just for the visit and blood work. Needless to say, after his pancreatitis test I will be looking for a new vet. This was my first time at this location because I moved to the area recently and it was definitely not a good experience.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm coming in rather late here, so perhaps I'm missing something. I have always had at least one cat, who, if she was allowed to eat dry food, would throw up. At the moment, I have one or 2 who do the same thing, especially when I am rather late in putting their wet food down.

I have 2 cats who preferably eat dry without any problems. But, when I get up late (sorry cats) I will always find a pile of still very dry vomit somewhere in the house (obviously, nothing to do with hairballs, which have collected in the gut over a period of time and are always wet and..... what a topic!). With my cats, I can only suspect which one of the other two was so hungry that she attacked the dry food. I don't consider it a big issue - a long time ago a vet confirmed my belief that some cats swallow kibble down without chewing it and it irritates their stomachs, because it is too dry. I would be worried if the vomit was already soft and well-digested - and if the same occurred with wet food. You may just have to limit the dry!

One of my friends mixes dry with some wet food to stop this happening - but she only has one cat!