Daily Mail posts an article stereotyping cats. This time the target is Torties with white.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone else seen this ridiculous article? They claim that Tortoiseshell with white cats are the most likely to be aggressive towards humans. They claim this:
  • Veterinary scientists have found a link between the colour of a cat's fur and its tendency to show aggressive behaviour towards humans, study shows
  • Found calico cats are 'significantly more aggressive' than other types
  • Having looked at 1,274 cats, found ideal pet is a black, grey, white or tabby
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ve-cat-s-fur-colour-linked-aggressive-is.html

While  understand the awesomeness of the black cat, I find this article highly offensive. Nothing is mentioned how the cat is raised or how the cat was socialized. I have met torties and calicos who were incredibly loving and sweet. I personally believe that behavior is more about environment and how they are treated than by coat color.

My concern is that so many people will read this, believe it and pass by a wonderful cat in a rescue or shelter because of it's color. Do these "veterinary scientists" not think about that before they spot off about things like this.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but torties and calicos are AWESOME!! Judging a cat by its color makes no more sense than judging a person by their color. You have to wonder how much the University of California paid for this ridiculous study.

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I grew up with an awesome calico cat....that's just not true. I think cats are like people some are aggressive and some are not, some tend to be more nervous or jumpy while others are not. I believe it all has to do with how you treat and care for them 

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Tortie and she is sweet and loving.  I just don't like when people put animals in categories just like they have given all Pit Bulls a very bad name.  Bring up the animal right and they will be your lifetime friend.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Idiots.   This just feeds the difficulty in finding homes for tri-colored cats.  I have, honestly, found many torties and calicos to be a bit aloof and standoff-ish with strangers (Hekitty being one of them), but I consider this to be the height of common sense.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Indeed. They've never seen our Ms. Pepe, who when young was the very epitome of a gentle kitty with a sweet, loving disposition. She's 19 years old now and she's gotten a little cantankerous, esp when it comes time to hollering for breakfast in the morning. But hey, she's 19; she's allowed.

Sometimes I think these idiots write something, just for the sake of writing something. And if they can rile cat people up, so much the better. 

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite part of articles, especially stupid ones like this, is the comments. Half of the comments are calling the article rubbish, lol.

Torties generally do have an attitude, but it's adorable and not inherently aggressive. The article is another example of why you cannot trust what you read in the media.

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually saw a documentary on the Discovery Channel about cats and they did mention exactly that calico cats are more aggressive. And at that time, I didn't have a cat but was visiting the shelter. There was a particular calico cat that would "bully" the door and wouldn't let people in or out of the room without looking like she wanted to scratch you. And at that moment, I thought, well that explains it!

But I'm much more educated now and I know it's all about behaviour and environment. That door guarding isn't because of her colour but just the environment of the shelter and perhaps her history. And she wasn't even aggressive!!! I projected much of my fear onto her. She really was just standing at the door, looking at everyone and not wanting to budge to let people in. 

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Torties generally do have an attitude, but it's adorable and not inherently aggressive. The article is another example of why you cannot trust what you read in the media.
Yes, I do agree that Autumn does have Tortitude but but she is still a sweet loving kitty but a brat at times

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been lucky to have been owned by a wonderful, awesome, sweet, gentle calico cat (Cindy).  There was no aggression in her.  Now she didn't take any nonsense from our other cat, but she was mostly a surrogate mama to him and had to put him in his place from time to time.  I miss her dearly.

As for Torties, I had always heard about Tortitude and was a bit concerned when we fell in love with our little Cricket - but the only Tortitude she has is that she can be demanding when she wants something, be it attention, play, or food - she lets us know.  Otherwise I can't imagine a sweeter more loving kitty.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Indeed. They've never seen our Ms. Pepe, who when young was the very epitome of a gentle kitty with a sweet, loving disposition. She's 19 years old now and she's gotten a little cantankerous, esp when it comes time to hollering for breakfast in the morning. But hey, she's 19; she's allowed.

Sometimes I think these idiots write something, just for the sake of writing something. And if they can rile cat people up, so much the better. 
At 19 she can do whatever she wants. 

Isn't she Boo's littermate? Do you have any pictures of them when they were babies and now? 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say to this is Bull-Hackey!

I have had  multiple cats of various coloring - everything under the rainbow - including a few Calico's who, looking back, were ALL very sweet and gentle! And I cannot specify any particular 'color' being more or less aggressive than any other. 

Aggression in cats, in my opinion, is dependent upon so many different factors and combinations thereof: How was it raised - disciplined, punished or trained; where was it raised - type of environment; was there human interaction or was it ignored; was it in a high or low stress environment; was it strictly indoor, outdoor, or both; was it brought up as a single cat or did it have siblings/playmates; was it in a single-person home or were there many people and/or children; were there other animals (dogs, cats, ferrets, birds, etc.) in the home;  was it conditioned to car rides, carriers and vet visits; was it routinely vetted; was it spayed or neutered; what age is/was it; and did the cat have any illnesses or injuries? 

These are just a few things off the top of my head that could effect a cat's temperament. On top of that, cats are born with individual personalities and temperaments that, I believe, are genetically inherited. They (their personalities and temperaments) can either be exacerbated or toned down by the way they are handled by their owner.

Right now, I have a neutered Tabby that is so laid back and affectionate it's ridiculous. And I have a neutered Black that is the exact opposite! Visitors tend to admire him from a distance just because of his personality. I had one friend say, "Oooooooo! Why do you have him?!" 

Keeker is aggressive in his own way. He is fiesty and dominant and he challenges me every chance he gets. He plays rough. He hates being held longer than 10 seconds and is the least affectionate little beast I know! LOL But, I respect his personality - he actually reminds me so much of myself when I was younger! A pure rebel! But, in the end, he KNOWS who is the true Alpha in this house.  And, I'll admit, he DOES get away with crap just because I know who he is, and to keep him continually pent up mentally and physically would have a negative effect on him over all. 

I enjoy the vast difference in their behaviors and I love each of my boys just as they are! While Kricket gives me all the love in the world on a daily basis, it thrills the bejeezez out of me when Keeker jumps on the couch, walks across my lap, slaps me for the sake of slapping me, and then moves on with an arrogant glance over his shoulder. Just the fact that he 'came to me' on his own for a few seconds is pure joy! 

I would venture to say that the morons who gathered this information have never been any closer to a cat than through a picture. From what I read, there was absolutely NO science involved in their 'study'. They did a survey by calling random people and asking some questions. That is like calling 1000 people and asking them what they are wearing and concluding that because the majority were wearing purple that it determines people who wear purple are more aggressive. 

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I wrote on "Mail Online":

It's funny how 1,274 cats can determine the behaviour of all cats on the planet..

By the way, I sip my coffee loudly, cause my hair is dark blonde.. I also tend to turn the lights on and off 7 times before I leave the house, because my eyes are blue... 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As I wrote on "Mail Online":

It's funny how 1,274 cats can determine the behaviour of all cats on the planet..

By the way, I sip my coffee loudly, cause my hair is dark blonde.. I also tend to turn the lights on and off 7 times before I leave the house, because my eyes are blue... 
Right! There are 600 million cats in the world and they live on every continent except Antartica! Not much of a 'scientific' survey!

And thanks for clearing all that up, LOL  I thought you had issues because your black cat is brown! 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do have issues because my cat is brown.. Brown cats are known for their aggression.. Also, 2 of his twin sisters are calicos with white.. I better check on the people who adopted them.. I wonder if there is hope those people to be still alive!!! 

Here's some photos of one of the vicious calicos.

She's yellow, white and brown. Same shade with Grizzly's brown.
 No tabby marks. 

Those are taken by the family who fostered her until she was adopted.
OMG! She DOES look quite dangerous! I almost fell off my chair just looking at those pictures! She scared me to death! 

Actually, she is stunning and absolutely adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Kat0121  Yeah! She is a knock out. Her twin is too.. They are identical 

I almost got this one too, back when I got Grizzly.. But I wasn't sure if I was ready for a pet back then - I was unemployed and my mom had just got surgery - let along 2 pets! Then, I found out she had a broken leg and that's why no one had adopted her... I had good ties with her foster family, so they came to our appartment to introduce her to us.. I wanted to take her, just because no one wanted her (like Grizzly).

Grizzly was not collaborating AT ALL. he was hissing, hiding.. He made her life miserable.. She was such a sweet baby but the way Grizzly acted, we were afraid they wouldn't get along.. So, we didn't take her. 
 We were afraid it would be risky.. Grizzly showed signs that he wanted to be the only cat in the house.. I hadn't read anything about introducing 2 cats, so I supposed it was impossible..

Some other lucky family got her finally.. I really wanted her, though, so that the 2 sibblings both had each other 

I am so curious to find out how she's grown to be.. I bet she is gorgeous! 

Last edited: