Daily Amounts

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you figure out how much to feed your cats? I'm probably just being overly paranoid but been dealing with food sensitivities with my girl for a long time so food has been a big focus. Since her last diet of the vet food did not work out, I have been working at switching both cats diets to a raw/canned one from one that was free fed kibble with canned.

Currently my girl is one Primal freeze dried rabbit nuggets with either Koha LID rabbit or Nature's variety rabbit canned(5.5 oz cans). I have got her back to around a tablespoon of the Nature's Variety LID rabbit kibble from it being 50/50. She eats 2 of the nuggets a day and maybe a 1/3 - 1/2 a can of the food. My rough calculations of calories is saying that she isn't eating enough for her weight (11 lbs roughly), should I worry? I really doubt I could get her to eat more.

The other cat is a roughly 7 month male(rescue told us mid September birthday) on Pets Go Raw Chicken or Turkey and Whole Earth Farms Duck, Chicken or Turkey canned, sometimes gets the rabbit canned my girl gets. He currently is only getting a 1/8 lb patty a day of the raw(increasing slowly, he will scarf and barf it if I feed more than half a patty at a time), half a 5.5 oz can of canned and 1/2-3/4 cup roughly of the kibble (mix of the Nature's variety rabbit and Royal Canin hypoallergenic duck(just getting rid of what is left of the bag, I'm researching other kibbles to be able to offer him as a treat/top up etc) I have been trying to feed him more of the canned until I get him on more raw but he won't eat anymore canned than what he is now. Since he is young and convinced he is always starving(even with canned in the dish) I have been letting him eat more kibble to make up for the calories. Is he getting enough food? He is not looking thin or overly fluffy but he also already around 11 lbs.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have pictures of him from standing above do we can look at his waist. Eleven pounds for a 7 month cat seems like a lot... So one of my kittens was always hungry and obsessed with human food. She had been wormed many times but got rally I’ll one day. She had round worms. She is still overweight a bit from the entire thing. But you might want to check a vet. AMD Yes. I’d leave dry out for kittens. My kittens eat a bit less now that they are older.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll get some pictures of him tonight(assuming the monster cooperates), he has grown a ton since we got him in December and is lanky. He is basically the same size as my girl, just longer when he stretches out on the floor.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I think, barring something like worms as mentioned, keep feeding your youngster whatever you need to, to keep him eating. At his age assuming he's healthy, he needs as much as he'll consume until he's at least a year and a half because he could have genetics from a big breed.

Here's some other info for you;
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat?

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update and question,
Pippin is proving to be an absolute glutton still, haven't weighed him lately but he is heavier and bigger than my older girl. He is easily putting away 1/4 lb raw, 1 5.5 ouce can and 1/4-1/2 cup kibble daily. I estimate he's eating on average 500-550 calories a day, should I be worried that he is eating so much? He will slow down soon right??

With the older girl, she's being introduced to frozen raw from the freeze dried and we are doing a combination of canned and raw(kibble is more her treat). She is eating good for her but I don't know how much I should be feeding her as I keep getting conflicting information on raw amounts. I've seen 2-3% all the way up to 5-6% of her weight for total amount to feed. She is a princess that is a good weight and prefers to hold down the bed, couch, your lap vs being overly active. She has been getting half a 5.5 ounce can, either 2 ounces of the frozen raw rabbit or 2 nuggets of freeze dried and 1-2 tablespoon of the kibble. I might be able to get her to get a tad more though if that is not enough.

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, weighed him last night and he's 13 lbs now, 2 more than my girl. He is going to be a big cat since he is only 8 months if he keeps this up.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy will be 2 in October and he still eats like a starving football team.

I worry he'll be fat, but he's just very long/muscled. He eats 12oz of wet food a day, sometimes a little more. That's 3-4 cans.

Why yes, I am broke, thank you for asking :biggrin:

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, he looks so similar to my kitten. He's topping out at 11 lbs now and has been maintaining that for a few months, and is almost a yr old now. He eats like a bird and he still managed to get up there. He's very lean and muscular, so I imagine if yours has the same body type, you'll be raising a panther lol.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise