Daft Cats Don't Like Moved Catflap

hucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I moved my catflap from the back door to the front wall (it's now a tunnel as it's double brick). But it's the same flap so should be recognisable! I keep finding the cats trying to go through the old one which isn't there anymore, just a solid door, so I pick them up (outside or inside) and push them through the newly positioned flap, which seems to scare the shit out of them. Is the new position confusing them? Don't they like tunnels? I'm sure plenty folk have wall-mounted catflaps with tunnels.... I guess I just wait until they desperately need in for food?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Well, speaking of food, why don't you use food and/or treats to entice them in other words put a trail of treats/kibble whatever they love through and on either side of the catflap, although it may take a while since they didn't like being pushed through.
Patience and time, and also prop the catflap open until they become more comfortable with it because what I really think is that they don't yet realize this opening, which used to be a wall to them before, is now actually an opening.
Cats' don't like change, but on the other hand, they're adaptable, just give them time and don't rush them ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They know the food's in the house, I'm sure they'll come in if they have to. Mind you, my next door neighbour kinda shares them with me - she plays with them and feeds them too, so they won't starve. I've asked her to keep them in her house next time they go in, and I'll carry them back and keep showing them the cat flap (which is the exact same flap in a different place!) until their daft little brains learn it! It's not like my cats hate new openings, if they see the shed door open when I'm mowing the lawn, they'll go in, despite having been accidentally locked in several times. How does an animal this thick survive?

Frankophile Feline Fan

Floofing the floor
Young Cat
Purraise
I've learned a lot about cats in the past 6 months. One of the interesting things I discovered about felis catus is that they are territorial colony social animals while dogs and their wild counterparts are more nomadic. Cats seem to need and depend on an intimate knowledge of their environment. Any change can throw them off.

hucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats seem to like change. Any little thing like furniture moving and they spend all day fascinated by it, exploring everything like kids would. But they're damn lazy, they'd rather I opened the door than they have to push the catflap all by themselves. But the desire for food always makes them do what they need to.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What's the visibility like? They might be a bit freaked out that they can't see what's on the other side.

Or they could just be a pair of daft buggers.

hucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's the same flap they're used to, clear perspex. They now have to go through a tunnel, which I think is what worries them (outbound). But inbound the flap is on the outside, so they wouldn't know there was a tunnel until they went through, which two of them haven't done - I'd have heard them opening it as it's quite close to where I'm sitting. They must know it's there - they saw me build it, and have been sat in the garden in full view of it on a few occasions.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents have a cat tunnel too but sometimes their one just wants them to open the door like the peasants they are.

hucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know some people with no catflap, the poor cat has to wait until the owner notices them and lets them in. I'm surprised the cat doesn't run away and find another home.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would be helpful for your cats if you stopped expecting them to process this kind of change like a person would... they saw me building it so voila they should automatically understand. They don't, plus they're picking up on your frustration, which may be making things worse.
I wish you were more interested in my suggestions of taking just a couple minutes to put some treats down and prop the flap open so that they can determine that the opening they were used to has been moved.

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats seem to like change. Any little thing like furniture moving and they spend all day fascinated by it
I actually think you might be misunderstanding a sensitivity to change for enjoyment of it. Our cat Gohan maps every item in his territory. Buy a new chapstick? He will find it within seconds even if he was asleep when you put it down. Yes, it’s interest and he enjoys new cat trees and toys. But when we move apartments he hides for hours and is really cautious for days. He has had the most trouble with the new cat integration. And if you changed such a fundamental thing as the way he enters or leaves the house, I think he would not adjust well. Our tabby on the other hand is happy as a clam as long as he finds where you put Bed. But mess with his food and he goes on a hunger strike. Cats are sensitive souls, and I think using food and treats to convince them this new cat flap change is positive you may see better results.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me see whether I understand properly. You've installed a tunnel leading to the outside, and moved the cat flap to the outer end of the tunnel, is that correct? And the cats are willing to go through the tunnel and flap to get outside but not to return inside? Or they don't like to use it from either direction?

Margret

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats seem to like change. Any little thing like furniture moving and they spend all day fascinated by it, exploring everything like kids would. But they're damn lazy, they'd rather I opened the door than they have to push the catflap all by themselves. But the desire for food always makes them do what they need to.
Your cats sound like mine. Nosy little things =)

My cats did not "get" a cat flap when it was installed. Doors = humans must open, and they didn't realize this new contraption was meant to be opened by cats, so I simply lifted the flap open, suspended it with strong (duct) tape, and let them see the other side through a flap-less hole in the wall. Eventually, they figured it out.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's the visibility like? They might be a bit freaked out that they can't see what's on the other side...
I saw a program recently about someone having a cat flap problem. The behaviorist said the problem was how cautious cats are. That they will not appear blindly into an area unless they are able to assess the danger first. The solution was to put plants on either side of the flap outside, allowing the cat to emerge outside while still undercover.

hucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a tunnel with the flap on the outside. They're equally unwilling to go either way. But the ones I've carried to the flap and gently nudged them through are learning to use it. My next door neighbour plays with and feeds my cats (which is very useful as she gets up early and I get up late, so most of the time one of us is about with food!) The catflap is transparent, so they can look through it first to tell what's there. I could understand them not liking a new flap, but this is literally the same flap I moved to the other side of the house. One of my cats went out last night through it successfully while I was in bed, yet this morning she was waiting at the wrong side of the house, and was happy when I carried her round and reminded her where it was. It's more like they're forgetful than scared of the flap. They use it if I place them next to it. Anyway, if they can't get in, they end up next door and my neighbour keeps them until I carry them back. I think treats at the flap wouldn't work, as there's no shortage of food between me and my neighbours (my other next door neighbour also has a cat and has said mine go in her house sometimes - she has no flap but this time of year the doors are left open a lot). They'll learn eventually.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's forgetfulness, the problem will fix itself shortly. The other possibility is that they're afraid of the tunnel, and I've no idea how to fix that. Most cats like play tunnels, but when I got one for Jasmine she was terrified of it. I put treats in it and she gave me the most pitiful "Why are you putting treats where I can see and smell them but can't get to them?" look. Likewise catnip and her favorite toys. I gave up, shook everything out of it, and returned it to the store.

Margret

hucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 of the 5 are now happily going through both ways. One doesn't go out much anyway, and the other two don't come in much anyway, so I don't know about them yet.

hucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll find out next week about the 2 outdoor ones that usually eat next door, as she's going on holiday, so they'll have to come in for food!

hucker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since this tunnel is required for entry, and not just a toy, I assume they will get used to it. The 2 that are now using it WERE afraid of it, now it doesn't bother them at all.

Sorry for 3 posts, but there seems to be no edit function in this forum, like there is elsewhere.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear!! The others might just learn from watching the ones who have mastered the cat door. I taught one of our pups to use a doggy door and the others learned almost immediately by realizing this dog was going in and out and having the time of his life and needed to be brave and try it themselves.
I know of a dog that learned the dog door and became so fixated on that success, she refused to use "other" doors and would stubbornly fly out the dog door, LOL.

We are actually considering replacing ours. Barricading it shut is hard because the one we have has that plastic "cover" you place over the door but our jerk cats can pry it off =( I want one that has a plastic or metal sheet that you "Slide" down into the grooves on the side, making escape almost impossible as there's no way to pry the thing off.