Cystitis or something else? Should I seek a second opinion?

katycat1190

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Friends,

Katy has been rather unwell these past couple of days and I would like to seek your thoughts about what's been going on. I've been so worried, and yes we have been to the vet, but I'm not sure if we are on the right path to recovery..

Here is what has happened:

On the 11th of December, we went over to my mum's place (about 1 hour away) for the holidays. Katy loves it there. It's quiet, she is the only cat in the house, there is lots of space. We go there frequently, she is very used to the house, has her own routines/areas there and basically she loves it because she gets access to a porch where I take her for walks on a leash. She seemed to be having a good time over there until last Friday.

On Friday the 17th, she suddenly stopped eating and drinking.

She had about 1/3rd can of wet food for breakfast and a bit of kibble for lunch.

She then refused to eat or drink anything for the rest of Friday. She also slept constantly throughout the day and by late Friday evening was totally lethargic.
She stopped doing all of her usual activities, and just napped non-stop in one spot. She got up to use her litter box once, then immediately went back to sleep after (which is very weird for her).

On Saturday, she continued to be just as lethargic. She didn't even want to get out of bed in the morning, I had to coax her awake. Again, she refused to eat or drink all morning/afternoon on Saturday.

She has been peeing less than usual and pooping a lot less too, which made sense to me since nothing was going in. But there was no vomiting, no sneezing or runny nose, nothing really other than not eating and being so lethargic. One odd thing, I found her sitting in her litter box (which is very very weird for her, she never does this) on Saturday at noon. Just sitting, not peeing or anything, but sitting in there.

So I called the vet and they told me to bring her in straight away. On Saturday evening I got her to her usual vet close to where we usually live.

Now this is where I start to feel a bit strange because to me, I'm worried sick to have a cat that is refusing to eat/drink and is basically sleeping constantly, but the vet on the other hand didn't seem too concerned.

According to the vet, Katy was well hydrated, with pink gums, no fevers, and some tenderness over the bladder but nothing else.

They didn't run any tests though. Vet basically did a physical exam (she listened to her heart/lungs, palpated her belly, had a very quick look into her mouth).
They didn't do bloods, or urine tests, or any other test, which is what makes me wonder if the vet is being a bit dismissive?

Based on the bladder tenderness and the hanging out in the litter box, the vet thinks it's cystitis.

Vet prescribed Katy some gabapentin for pain and urinary supplements (Cystophan). Nothing else.

In the past, she had a period of peeing outside of the box. They found crystals in her urine and the diagnosis was cystitis. She had the same treatment (gabapentin, calmurofel supplement) and got better very quickly. Note that she was not sick in herself this past episode, it was just peeing out of the box and being stressed out because I had started volunteering at a shelter. This was way back in 2019, and somewhat stress-related.

I admit that there have been some unusual stressors over the past week. First of all I've been incredibly busy and not spending as much time with her as I usually do, and secondly we ran into two (leashed) dogs on one of her walks (nothing happened, just a lot of growling from the dogs and Katy, at a safe distance). Other than that, nothing is different. She was on the same food, same feeding routine, and had no contact with other cats or dogs.

That said.
This current illness seems very different than her previous stress related cystitis issues. I have never seen her this lethargic for as long as I've had her. Somehow I can't shake the feeling that there may be something else going on, I find it hard to be believe that stress/cystitis issues is causing her to withdraw to this extent. At the same time I'm doubting my own feelings, because I have health anxieties myself and I know I can be overly protective (sometimes paranoid) over Katy and tend to worry about the smallest changes, even if it turns out to be nothing.

Now, since the vet visit:

There is been a bit of improvement from Saturday (yesterday). I gave her the gabapentin, which was no easy feat. She is lethargic until I try to give her meds, then she is a ball of fire and rage. After the gabapentin, she finally ate a bit of kibble and drank a bit of water, after almost 30 hours without food or water!!

This morning (Sunday), she ate half a pouch of her favorite wet food mixed in with the cystophan. I was completely overjoyed, but then the rest of the day is not showing much improvement. I coaxed her into eating a small amount (like a teaspoonful) of boiled fish for lunch. Now it's evening time and she hasn't had anything all day.

She hasn't been peeing a whole lot either. Usually, she eats 3 pouches of wet food a day and gifts me with 3 to 4 big pee clumps. She has only peed once today morning (and once last night).

So I wonder, should I take Katy to a different vet for a second opinion? Take her back to the same vet and insist something is not quite right?
Wait and watch, maybe it is cystitis after all and it will settle in a few days? Maybe cats take a while to recover from illness?

This is the first time Katy is seriously ill like this (she is only over 3 yrs old), and honestly it has got me so worried.

Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thank you so much for reading this essay and let me know if I can give any more information.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you trust your vet I would return to him and insist on blood tests, she may have an infection. If she is eating and drinking less it makes sense that she is not using her litter tray as much. When she urinates is it a large amount, does she go in and out of the litter tray attempting to pee?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if she doesn't improve in the next couple of days, get some blood tests. Though if she would have had an infection she most likely would have had a fever. A LITTLE eating is better than none. Go to the pet food aisle and look for some lickable treats. my cats eat Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors when they are ill. Even a few licks are good. she needs the extra hydration too, kibble won't do it. She needs LOTS of water. Look on Amazon or any pet site and get some supplements for kidney troubles in cats it may help. Give them, and her meds, in the lickable treats. Forcing her to take meds is more stressful, make her take them in food/treats somehow. I have even broken up pills and hid them in cheese or bacon. Or use Pill Pockets for cats.
You may think that traveling with her is not causing her stress, but believe me, it most likely is. Cats HATE change and don't show it usually. Especially meeting dogs on a walk too! Try to leave her at home and get someone to come in once a day to feed her and spend some time. I leave mine for overnight but no longer, they need daily supplements for Leukemia. She HAS been under tremendous stress and is trying to hide it. I will pray for her to get better.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katycat1190

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you trust your vet I would return to him and insist on blood tests, she may have an infection. If she is eating and drinking less it makes sense that she is not using her litter tray as much. When she urinates is it a large amount, does she go in and out of the litter tray attempting to pee?
Thank you for your reply Verna!! Yes usually I like this vet, this is Katy's usual vet too and I like them because of how gentle they are with her. Just that this particular visit I didn't feel like they thoroughly evaluated the issue.

Just a few hours after I posted this, she finally ate her usual wet food, about 2/3rds her usual amount, better than nothing. The best part is she came meowing for wet food and ate without coaxing. She used the litter box after that and peed a normal sized lump (thank God). No more the small lumps of this morning and yesterday. And she doesn't go in and out of the litter tray, no.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds as if she is feeling better, just keep an eye on her. Life would be so much simpler if cats could talk our language (or vice versa)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katycat1190

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, if she doesn't improve in the next couple of days, get some blood tests. Though if she would have had an infection she most likely would have had a fever. A LITTLE eating is better than none. Go to the pet food aisle and look for some lickable treats. my cats eat Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors when they are ill. Even a few licks are good. she needs the extra hydration too, kibble won't do it. She needs LOTS of water. Look on Amazon or any pet site and get some supplements for kidney troubles in cats it may help. Give them, and her meds, in the lickable treats. Forcing her to take meds is more stressful, make her take them in food/treats somehow. I have even broken up pills and hid them in cheese or bacon. Or use Pill Pockets for cats.
You may think that traveling with her is not causing her stress, but believe me, it most likely is. Cats HATE change and don't show it usually. Especially meeting dogs on a walk too! Try to leave her at home and get someone to come in once a day to feed her and spend some time. I leave mine for overnight but no longer, they need daily supplements for Leukemia. She HAS been under tremendous stress and is trying to hide it. I will pray for her to get better.....
She suddenly seems slightly better, came meowing for food and ate an ok amount, still less than usual but at least it's something. And yes that makes sense, Verna said the same too, I will ask for blood tests if she doesn't continue to improve. Lickable treats, got it. Katy doesn't like cheese or dairy even when healthy, but bacon is a great idea, I will keep that in mind for the meds.

Regarding travelling perhaps you are right that it stressed her out this time. We used to travel far more frequently in 2019 and part of 2020. She was very fine with it, but back then the trips were very frequent and she was a kitten/young cat so perhaps more adaptable. This year, with the endless lockdowns, we didn't make the trip for many months. She has also become more adult and set in her ways, plus she is very attached to this home now after so much time spent here. So yes, perhaps she was feeling stressed and my poor baby just didn't show it until she became sick. I feel so guilty now to be honest, I never expected this at all.

And thank you so much for your prayers!!! <3 I appreciate your kind words and the useful tips!!