Cyproheptadine : Appetite Stimulant. Does It Work?

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

Poor Oscar seems to be having more difficulties with his medication.

He was first put on Mirtazapine, but that caused him to be very restless and have these fits of very loud and uncomfortable meows. Today we stated him on the Cyproheptadine. I read the side effects list and it seems to be a lot less worrisome than the Mirtazapine, which is a relief! The only downside is that I have to give him the Cyproheptadine every day, instead of every 3 days. But really, I don't care. As long as he is happy and comfy, that's all I care about.

I was wondering if anyone here has used this medication for a stage 4 kidney failure kitty? Did it help him eat more? Where there really bad side effects, that are not mentioned?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated!

(A little info on what Oscar is taking right now : Cerenia, Famotidine and he is also on 70cc of sub-q fluids every other day.)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're having to deal with a CKD kitty, it can be very challenging to manage all the symptoms.

You mention giving 70 cc every other day, how far along is Oscar with his CKD?
I know that ours did very well and had an excellent appetite with fluids, but he was getting 100 every day. Depending on how far along he is, he may need more fluid now to keep his kidneys flushed.

Another thing to consider...how are his teeth, gums?..dental problems and infections are common with CKD cats. So if his mouth is bothering him in any way, that could also contribute to his loss of appetite. We had to give ours antibiotics several times for abscesses and sores (he was not healthy enough to undergo extractions or any dental upkeep (anesthesia)).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It's definitely not easy, but we're managing.

Oscar is at a early/mid stage 4. He is only getting 70 cc every other day due to his heart issues. Giving him fluids more often would put more strain on his little heart. So we have to be cautious.

My old man doesn't have any teeth left. We got them all removed in February I believe.

He seems to be doing pretty well this morning, which is a relief. He's more awake, moving around a little more and he ate quite a bit last night! So yay!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is only getting 70 cc every other day due to his heart issues.
Oh, I'm so sorry! That makes things so much more difficult. Ours developed CHF near the end as well, and yes, it's difficult to balance fluids when this happens.

I'm not sure if this could be the case, but even though he no longer has any teeth, he could still get sores on his gums. If he'll let you, grab a small flashlight and look if you can see any boo boos on his gums.

Glad he seems to be a bit better this morning!