Cutting Nails?

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well after spending too much money at the vets for nail clipping I decided to have a go myself. On Katy last weigh in (still fat, still overweight!) I bought some nail clippers. Okay, so this cannot be hard, vets and groomers do it all the time. Gently but firmly I clipped Katys front paws. Shes not keen but if I sneak up on her we get along just fine.

Now onto the question.....how often do I do this. I know to clip just a little bit at a time so I dont do any damage but Im not sure just how often. She still 'clicks' along the wooden flooring so maybe some more should come off? She has NEVER used a scratching post and has no intention of doing so.
thanks
Alexis

eeva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually clip my cats' nails when their kneading starts hurting!
Seriously, you'll see how often it needs to be done, cats can vary greatly in how fast their nails grow. With my two, I tend to clip their nails about once a week, or every two weeks.

bibby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I clip the claws when they feel sharp- usually when they are in my lap- generally only have to do one or two at a time. Generally every couple of weeks I check out whether they need to be done.
By the way- my older cat has never really used a scratching post- then when I finally let her onto my balcony a few months after bringing her home- she scratched at the doormat.
She still only scratches at the doormat, the turbo scratcher or occasionally a sisal scratcher (that is supposed to hang off a doorknob) that I leave lying on the floor. She's a bit overweight and seems to prefer horizontal scratchers.
My young cat loves his sisal scratch pole.
may be worth looking at different surfaces.
Cheers
Catherine

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I clip my kitties claws once a month. sometimes every other week depends on how fast the grow. Willow's is useally once a month, Blades is about every 2 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all that. I guess its a 'wait and see how they grow' thing but I reckon about 1/3 weeks with Katy as all she ever seems to do is sit by the feeding station.

Bibby - I will certainly try the horizontal scratchy things as maybe she finds it hard to drag her fat body upwards!

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick update on the claw thing - I snuck up on Katy to do her claws and got one paw done then onto the next. Did the 4 claws at the front and when I went to cut the one higher up it had grown right into her little pad

no wonder she wont run around.
Am at the vet tonight to get it sorted. Poor little Katy - she never makes any complaint over anything but she did growl quite loud when I looked at this paw. It does look a mess, but all will be well once the vets seen it I guess. I will have to be on my guard over this claw thing from now on.

sdgirlie29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitties have their pedicures every week, like clockwork. I didn't start trimming their nails until recently. They don't put up any fights... I guess they figure I'm bigger than they are

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to look into a turbo scratcher. It will not only encourage her to scratch, but also to exercise. My cats love theirs, they have two of them, and what I like best is the scratching surface is replaceable cardboard.

jeeperscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeepers will let me clip all of her front claws in one sitting (after being bribed with treats) It's also really good to do it just after they have woken up, that way they don't realise what's going on until it's too late

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jeeperscat

Jeepers will let me clip all of her front claws in one sitting (after being bribed with treats) It's also really good to do it just after they have woken up, that way they don't realise what's going on until it's too late
Sneaky

Seriously though it sounds like a neat idea. Will also try to find those other sort of scratchers
Thanks

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so my next purchase will be a turboscratcher - I'd forgotten how much my mom's cats love theirs. She goes thru 3-4 refills a year w/5 cats in the house!

My question is, how long should I wait with Bella until I attempt to trim her nails? she doesn't like being held yet, and she IS older and more set in her ways, but what I can see of her claws look awful. They apparently attempted to trim her at the vet or at the shelter because some are neat and trim and some aren't, some have sheaths almost hanging off, though she hasn't taken to scratching anything yet, including her kitty condo; So do I wait until she's comfortable sitting in my lap, or do I start to bribe her with treats (which she's shown no interest in either)? I guess I"m just too impatient for my own good - she hasn't even been here a week!

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with my 18 year old cat Tulip - she has always hated to be picked up or cuddled and will wriggle and wriggle! My only option on the claw thing is a towel. I have to wrap her quite tightly and hang on! I leave one little paw out and do that one and then tuck it back in and do the other paw. The back ones are the difficult thing at the moment. (We have to go the towel route for tablets as well). Luckily she does use the scratching post. I know the towel is not the perfect answer but it works for us. But you have not had Bella very long so you could try a quieter way when she is on your lap without the treats. Good Luck

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Felicia has her nails clipped when she goes to the vet for her check-up, then six months later when Beau has his check-up, she goes along just to have them clipped again. The very first time I clipped hers I cut one too short and it bled; she never forgot it!
Beau's nails I can do, but not all at once. I do the front ones at one sitting and the back ones the next. When I clip Beau's nails, I hold him on his back on my lap, like a baby.

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Felicia's Mom

Beau's nails I can do, but not all at once. So I either do the front or the back ones. (When I clip Beau's nails, I hold him on his back on my lap, like a baby).
Oh I wish I could do that - I'm afraid Tulip would have my face off in a minute if I tried that

Lucky you.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sierra gets her nails trimmed once a week. I also hold her in my lap like a baby. I've been doing her nails since she was just a tiny kitten, so she's quite used to it. She's not pleased, but she just endures it as her routine weekly manicure. What makes it even better, though is that she knows she always gets a special treat when we're finished!

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I clip Sash's nails every few months. I hold Sash and boyfriend clips. Sash is pretty good about it, once in awhile he'll wine a little and wiggle so I just keep on talking to him and he seems to relax more.

Lisa & Sash