cutting nails

karkel59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
64 will let the VET do it with ease, she doesn't mind at all, plus she doesn't mind me playing with and rubbing her paws, I want to be able to trim her nails myself....can I do it ? Is it easy ? Also how often can I do it ? Cause right after she has them done at VET it's perfect when she jumps onto my leg.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she lets you handle her paws without issue, you should have no problem clipping them yourself. You tube has tons of videos on how to do this. I don't think there is a set rule as to how often. You just want to be sure not to hit the "quick" of the nail. (the pink area just above the curve of nail).

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't have to do them all at once. You could try to clip one or two claws, and see how it goes.

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually clip my cats nails when she's asleep :) . Usually doesnt have much energy to object then and i trim only a tiny bit off at a time just to make sure i dont clip too much and hurt her. If I can do it you can do it, and I'm a novice clipper myself.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I clip my cats nails at least once every two weeks. They grow fast! One cat hates it, so I have to put a blanket over his back paws so he doesn't kick scratch me to death.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karkel59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm such a chicken though 64 is the best cat ever and I know she won't mind, the vet said she is so easy and laid back I'm just afraid...but if her nails were clipped every two weeks, it would be wonderful

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If you start out slowly, just doing one or two nails, you'll probably wonder why you were ever afraid to try it. Just wait till she's sleepy and clip off the very tip.

skylarbear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is very informative. I am going to attempt to trim skylars nails after we go to the pet store to get some claw trimmers specifically for cats. I think If I can get him relaxed on the table and come up behind him so that he can't back away, then I will be successful at trimming at least a nail or two before he tries to get away. Skylars grandpa

karkel59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How did it go ? WE are better at trimming 64's front then back...but I think front are the most important anyways

sonadora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The good thing is that the front gets sharper quicker, so they are easier to trim.  The better part is the back claws usually don't even need to be trimmed as often, maybe every other time you get around to trimming nails. 

:D

skylarbear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I trimmed Skylar's claws a few days ago with some specialized clippers that I had bought from the pet store. It went better than I had expected. The hardest part was getting him to hold still. Half-way through it, I let Mama hold him which allowed him to relax a bit easier. He had some fairly long claws, but I didn't trim them all the way. I only snipped the tips. :)

karkel59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same here, we just trimmed the c like part .....