Cutting nails - impossible!

kittycleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually take my two girls to the vet and let him do it. He charges a small fee to do it. Cleo, the oldest, hates to have her claws clipped. She growls and hisses. Josie tolerates it. I usually always use my vet. I tried taking them to the groomers a few times, but because of Cleo's fussy nature, I stopped. They said if the cat were to bite, they would have to have her quarentined and I couldn't guarentee that Cleo wouldn't bite. My vet will muzzle her, if she looks like she doesn't want to cooperate. I hate to see that too. That really makes her angry. Lately, I've been doing them myself....trying to save a few $$ and the hassle of getting them into the carriers. I'll do a paw or two at a time, then stop and do the others later....especially with Cleo. She still doesn't like to have it done, but she hasn't tried to bite. She just likes to makes a fuss.

aurora151989

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i use special kitty clippers, sammy and peaches both cooperate with me clipping their nails. Before Sam would give me and mom a very hard time about claw clipping but now that he's older he's probably knows, the more he cooperates, the quicker it'll be over.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shiraz21

This may be a dumb question, but can you use people clippers or are there special ones for cats? New mom here
We are actually more comfortable using people clippers. The only suggestion I would make is to hold the clippers sideways on the tips of the claws so you don't get splitting.

We start when our kitties are young and get them used to us just touching/holding their paws and stroking them. Sometimes I wait until they are sleeping and just gently stroke and clip. Other times I hold Bijou against my chest (in my lap) on his back and hold him under the front legs. He isn't crazy about it but he's used to it now. I usually give a treat afterwards as well and croon to him what a good boy he is.

It takes a little practice but is really easy once you get the hang of it.

As for why we clip - Bijou likes to suckle my neck before sleep and in the process tends to knead my face while he's doing it. Those claws are very sharp on my tender face skin if I don't clip.