Cuts Vs Pate

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat prefers cuts to pate. I've been under the impression that pate is better for them, so I try to give her pate more often than cuts, but she barely touches it, whereas she'll gorge on cuts with no problem.

Is it really that much better? I want to start bulk ordering cases of a few different wet foods to rotate, and I've been thinking of going with her favorites - NutroMax varieties, and the Sheba Salmon & Shrimp.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are the same way, they like Cuts and Shreds. They don't want Pate anymore, so I just let them have what they want.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why is pâté better? It's the same ingredients, no? Try Nutro Natural Choice, mine love them

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people say pate is better because it doesn't have as much gravy and carbs I guess. But I have to get my cats to eat and I threw away so much food trying pate.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine prefer cuts and shreds too. They will eat pate if I leave it out for them to nibble.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the ingredients of the food. Some cuts are better than some pates and some pates are better than some cuts.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pates tend to be dencer and have less fillers. They’re also higher cal usually and you tend to just get more bang for your buck. Shreds you usually have to week twice the amount. As it has more water in it. With pates i usually add warm water in to make it more gravie-y.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pate is basicallly a solid lump of meat so you get more food for the money. Textured food can be mostly the liquid (gravy, suace, etc) with very little actual food and calories. The liquid is thickened with starches which adds carbs. Many gravy and sauced based fodos are pretty heavy in carbs because of the thickeners. As an occasional meal, gravy and sauce foods are ok but I wouldn't feed it all the time unless you have a cat who will only eat that type of food for some reason.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The catfooddb.com provides fair evaluation. Many grain free shreds are also low carb. I rotate about four types and also use a few brands of pate.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
. Many grain free shreds are also low carb.

I guess it depends on what you consider low carb:think: To me, "low carb"is 10% or less, "medium carb" is 11% to 20%-ish, over 20% is high carb. Some texture foods are in the "medium carb" range while others are definitely in the high carb range. Every brand is different. I like the Catinfo.org chart. From the chart it looks like Tiki Cat and some of the Soulistic and a few other textured brands are low carb. Of course there are pate foods that are high carbs, too, because of the poor quality filler ingredients. Feeding both low and medium carb foods to a healthy cat is ok. The high carb stuff should be a rare treat IMO.