Cuts In Gravy Preference

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two definitely prefer any cuts in gravy (literally any brand) over pate (the selection they will eat is slowly dwindling.....). How bad are pieces in gravy? I know pate is best...but if the cats don’t like it, can they live a healthy life on pieces in gravy?! I read about wheat gluten and other thickeners and all foods seem to have something wrong.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one who only eats Friskies shreds. She's 19 so it can't be too terrible. I will say her coat isn't the best but that may be due to age.

There are some higher-quality shredded foods if you don't want to use ones with gluten and soy protein and all that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They’ve been eating the Authority grain free lately and it seems good ingredient wise. I think I way over think this whole cat food thing!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two definitely prefer any cuts in gravy (literally any brand) over pate (the selection they will eat is slowly dwindling.....). How bad are pieces in gravy? I know pate is best...but if the cats don’t like it, can they live a healthy life on pieces in gravy?! I read about wheat gluten and other thickeners and all foods seem to have something wrong.
They are generally higher in carbs because of the gravy. I understand where you're coming from. My girls are the same way. They are VERY picky about food. Right now their favorites are the Nutro Max line. Those are chunks in sauce. I buy them from Amazon using the subscribe and save. They have the best price that way. It comes out to Just over $18 a case with tax. Free shipping. Chewy had it on sale on Black Friday so I snappped up a few cases from them but if they don't have a sale, their price even with the autoship is higher than Amazon's. They like Friskies poultry pates but much prefer the Nutro Max. I have some Tiny Tiger pates but they will not eat them by themselves. I have to mix them with the Nutro so we will not be buying that brand again. You have to give them what they will eat. I have thrown out more expensive cans of food than I'd care to think about because they refused to eat them.Trying to reason with them doesn't work. I know. I've tried. :rolleyes2: :runaround:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is one of the things that helped push me to start making homemade cat food. There just aren't many shred foods that are low-carb and appealing to the cats. The cats, for example, used to love (love!) Tiki Cat, in its old formulation, but then it was changed and they started hating it. Lots of other foods have too much carby stuff as thickeners or to help form (fake) shreds: potato starch, tapioca, wheat gluten, peas, gums. I could go on and on (yet again!) about the stuff I refuse to feed.

I'll feed limited amounts of gums and an occasional pouch of Weruva or Soulistic chicken and pumpkin (but not using all the gravy) so in the end, the only shreddy foods I feed regularly right now are Koha duck stew (one of the best), a few Weruva Cats in the Kitchen cans (they are pretty gummy), and occasional cans of Weruva Quick 'n Quirky (expensive!) and Nutro Natural Choice minced chicken (carby from the gums!).

Sometimes I think homemade cooked food is less effort than fussing over finding and buying decent commercial canned foods!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, this is one of the things that helped push me to start making homemade cat food. There just aren't many shred foods that are low-carb and appealing to the cats. The cats, for example, used to love (love!) Tiki Cat, in its old formulation, but then it was changed and they started hating it. Lots of other foods have too much carby stuff as thickeners or to help form (fake) shreds: potato starch, tapioca, wheat gluten, peas, gums. I could go on and on (yet again!) about the stuff I refuse to feed.

I'll feed limited amounts of gums and an occasional pouch of Weruva or Soulistic chicken and pumpkin (but not using all the gravy) so in the end, the only shreddy foods I feed regularly right now are Koha duck stew (one of the best), a few Weruva Cats in the Kitchen cans (they are pretty gummy), and occasional cans of Weruva Quick 'n Quirky (expensive!) and Nutro Natural Choice minced chicken (carby from the gums!).

Sometimes I think homemade cooked food is less effort than fussing over finding and buying decent commercial canned foods!
My girls used to LOVE the Soulistic Good Karma. Now they won't touch it. I wonder if they changed something.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls used to LOVE the Soulistic Good Karma. Now they won't touch it. I wonder if they changed something.
There's the really irritating thing: cats and cat food manufacturers change things all the time, making it hard to find out where the problem lies!

Green_Tea58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think feeding the (albeit more carby) cuts in gravy is better than feeding carageenan, something my Siamese pukes way more often from (and is usually found more in pates). He does well on dry, but I want him to get more moisture from his food. Sometimes he pukes from foods without carageenan just because they're pate (I think his stomach isn't very fond of the texture). I'd be more wary of feeding 9Lives, personally; those sharp little bones in it cannot be good.