Curtain Climbing.....

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any tips on stopping my Princess Amber doing this?? She is really starting to wreck them. I get her down with a firm and patient "no" and put her on the floor. Immediately back up she goes. This goes on several times. I've got two young children and would rather not have to put with this all day on top of dealing with them haha.

Suggestions on what to do appreciated! X

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probably the best way to stop her climbing on the curtains is:
  1. Any time she does climb them, remove her and ignore her. Don't scold her, just take her down and turn your back (physically) on her. You are telling her that her actions make it so that she is not even worth your time.
  2. If possible, tie up the bottom of the curtains so she cant reach them for at least two weeks. That should break the habit if she's developed on of climbing them.
  3. Near the curtains, place a tall cat tree. If she is climbing to get away from children or get a view of the room, the cat tree will give her an appropriate way to accomplish both. Make it a rule that the children are not to pet, play or bother her in the "safe space" or "quiet place" so that she learns that the tree is hers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably the best way to stop her climbing on the curtains is:
  1. Any time she does climb them, remove her and ignore her. Don't scold her, just take her down and turn your back (physically) on her. You are telling her that her actions make it so that she is not even worth your time.
  2. If possible, tie up the bottom of the curtains so she cant reach them for at least two weeks. That should break the habit if she's developed on of climbing them.
  3. Near the curtains, place a tall cat tree. If she is climbing to get away from children or get a view of the room, the cat tree will give her an appropriate way to accomplish both. Make it a rule that the children are not to pet, play or bother her in the "safe space" or "quiet place" so that she learns that the tree is hers.
Thanks Kieka :)

The curtains are already folded in half so she cant get to the bottom but she climbs on to the settee and then reaches the top half that way.
Good idea about a cat tree, she's definitely not doing it to get away from the children at least though, she is bold as brass with them and is constantly trying to join in with what they are up to. I keep my bedroom door open and she goes in there when she wants complete peace to sleep on my bed. There is a child safety gate on the bottom of the stairs so the children cant follow her up even if they wanted to.
I will start just silently getting her down and turning my back as you suggested x

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A "firm" no isn't enough I think. I think it needs to be loud enough to be somewhat startling. Clapping as loudly as you can would work equally well. And then remove the cat immediately.

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A "firm" no isn't enough I think. I think it needs to be loud enough to be somewhat startling. Clapping as loudly as you can would work equally well. And then remove the cat immediately.
Thanks I will try that, I just didnt want to make her fearful of me x

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will try that, I just didnt want to make her fearful of me x
That is understandable, but this method *is* negative reinforcement, and there does need to be *some* negative. You aren't screaming at your cat, but if the cat doesn't realize you are upset and thinks "no" could well mean "hey I see what you did there" then it won't do anything. I wouldn't use negative reinforcement on a brand new or unbonded cat, but I've never noticed the slightest change using it on bonded cats.

The simply "remove as many times as it takes" method does work sometimes and is fine for something like the kitchen table, but used on your curtains that aren't already completely destroyed it is just too slow imho.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What I have seen that seems to work best is: pick up your cat, and either say a firm 'no' or a loud hiss (stick to one all the time), say nothing more and then put them in a 2 minute time-out, let them out and ignore them for a couple of more minutes and go about your business. In your case, you could replace the time out portion with placing her on a nearby cat tree or perch, so she sees that is where you want her to climb - not the drapes.

The thing is consistency, which means picking a behavioral correction tactic and sticking with it the exact same one, repeatihng it each and every time the behavior occurs. It may take a while, but it will eventually sink in and your cat will learn that climbing on the drapes is a no-no.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How about hanging some motion activated Halloween decoration from the curtain rod. Something that shrieks or talks might be enough to stop her in her tracks.

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How about hanging some motion activated Halloween decoration from the curtain rod. Something that shrieks or talks might be enough to stop her in her tracks.
Haha brilliant, would never of thought of that! It would probably really freak my 2.5 and 4 year old out though! Maybe a talking Santa one would be a good option x