Current Needle Reccomendation For Subq

guindle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, since the terumo 20gauge ultra thin wall needles aren't in production anymore, which needles do you recommend for most comfort?

They gave me 18g monoject but she screams at the needle poke. Granted, Goat is a bit of a drama queen, but I wanted to try one of the ultra thin kind people say are less painful but I don't know what to choose. My vet said it wouldn't matter what size but cat parents seem to think different.

I am warming the fluid, I didn't think about the cold fluid in the line so I tried to run more through so it was warm, that went a little better but I still want her to have the best needle money can buy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am going to refer one of our members who does subq multiple times a week here. She knows as much about it as anyone else here, and had an issue finding the right needles, herself.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guindle guindle I am doing daily sub-q's for my guy. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 asked me to peep in..

I use the Terumo needles. I do have a box of 18 gauge needles. They are big, but they work really fast. I am very fortunate to have my guy's cooperation, most of the time.

I used the 18 gauge initially. These are not as thick as the Monoject.

I am currently using the 21 gauge Terumo needles. These take a bit longer.. about 5 minutes for 100 cc, but I feel they are much better.

I get them from Thrivingpets.com .. It takes me about a week to get them. I also pick up the IV lines from them. If you combine them, you may have enough for free shipping.

In case you may wish to know, this is how I do the sub-q's; I wait until Artie is relaxed and pretty much sleeping. I warm the bag of fluids in a pan of hot water. I also run warm water through the line before I use it.

I did put up some Scotch, 3M, hooks on the wall, at a good height.

If I warm the fluids, wait until he is sleepy or sleeping, then it goes so much easier.

and the needle makes a huge difference. I still have the monoject 'harpoons' which the Vet gave me. I do not plan on using them.

I wish you luck... if you need anymore help, just let me know...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

guindle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guindle guindle I am doing daily sub-q's for my guy. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 asked me to peep in..

I use the Terumo needles. I do have a box of 18 gauge needles. They are big, but they work really fast. I am very fortunate to have my guy's cooperation, most of the time.

I used the 18 gauge initially. These are not as thick as the Monoject.

I am currently using the 21 gauge Terumo needles. These take a bit longer.. about 5 minutes for 100 cc, but I feel they are much better.

I get them from Thrivingpets.com .. It takes me about a week to get them. I also pick up the IV lines from them. If you combine them, you may have enough for free shipping.

In case you may wish to know, this is how I do the sub-q's; I wait until Artie is relaxed and pretty much sleeping. I warm the bag of fluids in a pan of hot water. I also run warm water through the line before I use it.

I did put up some Scotch, 3M, hooks on the wall, at a good height.

If I warm the fluids, wait until he is sleepy or sleeping, then it goes so much easier.

and the needle makes a huge difference. I still have the monoject 'harpoons' which the Vet gave me. I do not plan on using them.

I wish you luck... if you need anymore help, just let me know...

I think if it takes longer, it is ok. She just seems to get upset when I insert the needle so I want to make that more comfortable. I will order some of the 21 gauge ultra thin wall and see how it goes.

So far I have just been using the scoop her up and hold her down method. She is old and frail so she is not happy with me but it is over fast and she doesn't seem to stay angry at me. She will lay by me right afterwards and she does seem like she feels better in the two days after her fluids. I think where I was really going wrong was not realizing the liquid in the line would be cold. I was told to run a bit through to make sure no bubbles but not to clear it all the way so I am sure there was some cold liquid in there. Now that I figured out to warm it, she did seem better off.

:thumbsup:
Thank you!