Current cat misses when I touch or Am affectionate it to the new kitten

jmc1023

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone I had an interesting question about hissing. I recently got a new kitten and unfortunately he keeps escaping his safe room and is already comfortable in my entire apt.

Luckily the introduction of the new kitty to the resident cat went well. Gino, my 1 year old current kitty was very interested and gently playful with the new kitten. They play supervised and at first there were a few hisses here and there but nothing ever escalated. But now if I give the new kitten attention Gino will hiss. It's a soft hiss not directly at me or the kitten. He doesn't have his ears back he just hisses and lays down and usually only one time at the initial touch. He doesn't leave or even try to stop me.

So I was wondering if he was feeling possessive of the kitten or of me. Does anyone know what this could mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My cats get very jealous of attention I give to one or the other, and I don't think that will change.  But Gino's hiss sounds like a kind of winding down of the whole introduction process.. he's still in the mode where he feels he should do something so it's just a hiss and that's it.  

That's my take on it, for what it's worth.

purrcutie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is probably just jealous (cats do tend to do that), you should keep them separated at least in the next few days.

I remember when I brought home a stray kitten just for a few hours and my 5 year old cat hissed at him the whole time he was there.

He didn't sit in my lap for a whole week.