Curly Wiskers?

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. And one of them have some wavy fur on his belly, and some of the wiskers have a slight curl on the tip. But he also have one weird wisker on top of one of his eyes. Its stiff, and have many curl/loops. In general he does not like me «poking» at the wisker area, so do not think he really reacts to this one in particular. But have anyone else seen this on a cat? Maybe someone with a rex-mutation or something have seen/experienced this. Its very stiff, that is the main reason that I am writing this, and also short, but his brother also have one very short (though non curly) wisker. I know they break, but its been short like this for a while.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks more like an individual whisker that got pulled then a specific mutation to me. Have you noticed it before to know it isn't a one off?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks more like an individual whisker that got pulled then a specific mutation to me. Have you noticed it before to know it isn't a one off?
It has happened before, I actudentally pulled one out before :| poor cat. Never intended that (I know that you should never mess with the wiskers!), was hoenstly just trying to get a good look at it (and it did not helt that the cat really was moving his head left ad right), and maybe it was «loose».. I don’t know, ended up falling out, poor cat, but did not show any signs of pain that I expected, thank god! (Maybe it was broken...) This is a new one, not sure if its in the same place, that could be actually... maybe a mutation space/place for them... I really don’t know. And it got a very plastic like texture, very hard. Just really weird.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd probably assume it's just an odd curcly whisker. Kind of like how humans can have that one random curly hair. It might be indicative of curly hair ancestor somewhere in the background but it could also just be a genetic fluke.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read that hair is curly because of the shape of the hair follicle opening. If the opening is round, the hair will be straight, if it's oval, the hair will curl. So just one funny follicle, I don't think I would make anything of it.