Curly ends of wiskers

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hei

I have one cat and a few of his wiskers on top of his head have curly ends. He also have some curly/wavy fur on his stomach.
He is no particular breed, looks a bit like a combonation of british longhair and ragdoll, with creamy colouring.

He does not seemed bothered by it.

The question I want to ask is how the "curly" gene can present in cats? Becauseheis not all curly, only tip of some wiskers and wavy hair on underbelly :)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I see no one has responded to this. I am guessing the answer is yes. I do know there is more than one gene that causes curls in cats, so I guess there can be more than one way of expression for these genes. Genetics is pretty complex and in cats, different parts of their coat can express different genes. That's the reason for patterns with two and three colors in them.

Can you post pictures of the cats which show the curly bits?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hei

I have one cat and a few of his wiskers on top of his head have curly ends. He also have some curly/wavy fur on his stomach.
He is no particular breed, looks a bit like a combonation of british longhair and ragdoll, with creamy colouring.

He does not seemed bothered by it.

The question I want to ask is how the "curly" gene can present in cats? Becauseheis not all curly, only tip of some wiskers and wavy hair on underbelly
we would love to see a couple of good pics on your darling!

I myself dont know much about the curly gene,  I presume there are several possible.  As there are also several different breeds with curly hairs - selkirk rex for example.

Some breeds are rather dramatic, (possibly in part be the purposeful breeding work), while others are more modest curled hairs.  Often just whiskers.