Curious why my cat will touch me with his paw

kseniya cholock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat reaches out when she's sitting gives me her paw, wish I could teach her to give it on command when I say "Give me your paw" she will give it to me like you explained yours does too.  She always comes up to me right before going to bed and it's like she's saying Good Night to me, will sit or lay next to me for awhile, naturally expects me to pet her too! then goes lays down at my feet, her spot.  But in the morning she will come up like your cat and sit on my pillow above my head and put her paw on my arm or reach out to any place she can reach to put it on me, sometimes my nose! LOL I wasn't giving her as much attention as I normally do, Xmass and the hoidays and she got very upset about this and BIT ME HARD! I mean BAD! My daughter is a nurse and since she graduated and started working she told me she has seen 6 people in the hospitlal with cat bits to their arm.  If the bite gets infected, you need to be hospitalized! I was very lucky! And the bite was HORRIBLE! My hand got so swollen I had to put ice and waited days before going to Urgent Care and ended up I couldn't take the antibiotic because I had a reaction to it and other drugs used for cat bites I was also allergic too so that's scary, she tried to bite me a second time, same reason! But since I've been making sure I give her attention I have had no problems,  I had her 6 years before she bit me this past Christmas 2016, then tried a month later but hopefully I'm right and it was lack of love and affection! 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
If you get a cat bite run, don't walk to the bathroom and pour peroxide on the bite. It does not sting like alcohol does. It will bubble and you have to keep pouring the peroxide on until it stops bubbling and then put a bandaid on it, nothing else. The peroxide will kill all the germs and sterilize the wound. I have a Persian with very sharp and small teeth but no claws. Her defense are her teeth, so if I get the comb stuck in tangles she will bite, she is very fast. Only once did my hand swell when I did not notice one of the puncture wounds, otherwise the wounds have all healed very well within a short time and left either no or very small scars. When my doctor saw one she was horrified tat I did not have it taken care of by a professional but did agree that my treatment apparently did a good job. Peroxide is my go-to medication for every open wound, scratch, abrasion, etc.Works real well on children's scrapes because it does not sting and they are fascinated by the bubbles.  

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hydrogen peroxide isn't a very good disinfectant and it can also increase the appearance of scarring.

Peroxide is a DEBRIDING AGENT first and antiseptic second.

A debriding agent is something that removes dead tissue and expels dirt and foreign material.

Because a debriding agent removes dead tissue, it destroys some of the skin cells around the margins of the wound, making it harder for the body to repair itself and increasing the chance of being left with a scar when the wound heals.

After all of that, peroxide doesn't kill all of the harmful bacteria that might be in the wound.

Alcohol is a much more effective antiseptic/disinfectant.

Soap and hot water is also a much better cleaning agent under normal circumstances.

If you get bitten or scratched by your cat, the best course of action, IMHO, is to wash with soap and hot water then apply alcohol with a cotton ball.  Cover with a bandage if necessary.

Save your hydrogen peroxide for getting blood stains out of fabrics.  It works really well for that!  :D

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest has always reached out to touch me, he lays his paw on my arm like it is a comfort to him. My Casper paws at me to get my attention, if I don't listen to him a gentle bite comes next. Peroxide can be used one time for disinfecting a wound, and y further treatments with it should be diluted. As noted above, after the first time it actually works as a debrider. I do use peroxide at times,it is cheap and effective, and like said, works like a charm on blood stains!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

Hydrogen peroxide isn't a very good disinfectant and it can also increase the appearance of scarring.

Peroxide is a DEBRIDING AGENT first and antiseptic second.

A debriding agent is something that removes dead tissue and expels dirt and foreign material.

Because a debriding agent removes dead tissue, it destroys some of the skin cells around the margins of the wound, making it harder for the body to repair itself and increasing the chance of being left with a scar when the wound heals.

After all of that, peroxide doesn't kill all of the harmful bacteria that might be in the wound.

Alcohol is a much more effective antiseptic/disinfectant.

Soap and hot water is also a much better cleaning agent under normal circumstances.

If you get bitten or scratched by your cat, the best course of action, IMHO, is to wash with soap and hot water then apply alcohol with a cotton ball.  Cover with a bandage if necessary.

Save your hydrogen peroxide for getting blood stains out of fabrics.  It works really well for that!  :D
I have absolutely no scars from cat bite or scratches that are anything but fine lines if that from when I have treated them with peroxide. Alcohol on the other hand or soap and water first of all sting like the dickens and they don't push dirt out like peroxide does. I do have scars from various cuts, scrapes, cat scratches and bites before I discovered peroxide so I will continue this. However, to each his/her own, whatever works for you.

I don't think putting anything on an open wound with a cotton ball is a good idea as the cotton ball is a long way from sterile, I prefer to either just pour it on or use a sterile alcohol pad right out of its envelope.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just prefer my animals do not draw blood from... but if they do, and I am a button pusher so sometimes it does... I use whatever is handy, soap and water is usually my first line of defense and I have not had a wound get infected, ever.  I guess I am just lucky *knocks on wood*.  Also, even though I have had scratches that break skin, or little punctures from a wayward tooth, I haven't really had a deep scratch or puncture wound.  Just want to throw out there though I will try the hydrogen peroxide on blood stains... never don't that before.  I don't usually keep peroxide or alcohol on hand, but in a pinch, I would use a warm salt water rinse.