Curious Who Father Cat Is

Dave226

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I'm wondering if it is possible to determine from the color of the kitten and mother cat the colour of the father cat e.g.. Black, tabby, ginger, Sorry for poor photo the area is very dark, mom cat does not like light.
motherkitten4halfweeks.jpg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Is the red kitten a boy or a girl? The red (orange) gene is sex linked, located on the X chromosome. If the kitten is a boy he got his color from the mother, and the father could have been any color. If the kitten is a girl the father has to be red because she has to get the red gene on the X chromosomes from both parents.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The little guy is a boy, isn't he? There were others in the litter that didn't make it. . .what color were they? Do you know if any were female? As mentioned, boys get their color only from Mom and she's a torbie so that's where the red came from.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma seems to be a classic tabby torbie, no? son is a striped tabby, so the father is striped.
Striped / mackerel tabby dominates over classic tabby.

so momma cant carry that gene, and thus - it comes from daddy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dave226

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, so the father cat is striped and not necessary ginger.
The kitten is male and the deceased kittens were also ginger i don't know their sex

I'm only curious about the father because i was wondering about its state of health. The mother cat was fully vaccinated so I hope that helps.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If either of the other kittens were female that means the dad was ginger. But if they were all males, who knows? I would say that statistically the chance that one kitten was female is fairly high, but then I took in a pregnant stray who had 4 boys so can't go by that, lol.

Unless you know the cat personally, you can't know his health, unfortunately. But cats have been breeding like cats for all this time and it seems to have worked for them ;). I wouldn't worry about the father's health, just deal with the kitten's health as it is now.