Curious about raw

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do sojo farms years ago(oatmeal looking mix added to raw meat)  Is there any places to look in particular that will do bulk orders? Or a cheaper one?  NJ can travel if I can get in person. 

I feed friskies but thing is I NEVER pay full price-I get about 8 months worth of canned during black friday sales/discount offers and use coupons/discounted pet store cards/sales rest of year.  I don't want to know what I still do spend:p  

All but one enjoy canned and I would be looking at doing 30 ish cats(few outside who pop in and out) and 55 lb dog.

Looking at commercial raw for now but would be open in future.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a deepfreeze? You're gonna need one!

Probably the cheapest way to go is to make a big order from Hare Today. It's not premade but you just mix in some supplement (they sell it) so it's pretty easy. If your dog is a chowhound like mine are I don't think any of it will go to waste even if the cats don't like it :tongue2:. Nature's Menu is another fairly inexpensive option. If you're willing to make a big order, call them on the phone--they have a special price for orders of a certain size (one box packed full). CountryPet Naturals gives a discount and free shipping if you order a full case (16 24-ounce chubs). Or, if you have a good source of boneless meat, just get some Call of the Wild. . .they sell it in 5-pound buckets.

For now, just cut up some raw chicken breasts and see which kitties go for it!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a deepfreeze? You're gonna need one!
Probably the cheapest way to go is to make a big order from Hare Today. It's not premade but you just mix in some supplement (they sell it) so it's pretty easy. If your dog is a chowhound like mine are I don't think any of it will go to waste even if the cats don't like it :tongue2:. Nature's Menu is another fairly inexpensive option. If you're willing to make a big order, call them on the phone--they have a special price for orders of a certain size (one box packed full). CountryPet Naturals gives a discount and free shipping if you order a full case (16 24-ounce chubs). Or, if you have a good source of boneless meat, just get some Call of the Wild. . .they sell it in 5-pound buckets.
For now, just cut up some raw chicken breasts and see which kitties go for it!
I agree and was going to suggest Hare Today ! https://www.hare-today.com/ I am actually planning on ordering a LOT of one pound chubs on my next order. The Duck Hearts are also WELL loved by all the cats - even the fussies. HT is very reasonable and the meats are just perfect. You can add the Alnutrin http://knowwhatyoufeed.com/alnutrin_for_meat.html (Hare Today sells this on their website) to the ground that contains meat, bone and liver (everything). It is very simple to mix in the Alnutrin with a little water. You can also buy the 5 lb. chubs and make up bigger batches since you have many kitties. Wonderful addition to the cat's diet. I think even getting a little raw into the cat's is better than none at all. You might be surprised too, some of your kitties will take to it immediately and other's well...... :lol3: we won't go there... So glad you are thinking of trying to add raw to your kitties diets! :D :clap::vibes:

And as Willowy says - Wysong;s Call of the Wild http://www.wysong.net/products/cotw-dog-cat-supplement.php will make any boneless raw meats a complete meal :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting the links! It takes forever from a phone so sometimes I get lazy :lol3:.

I wanted to add that if you find a local source that sells Nature's Variety in all sizes, the 2-pound chubs and the 5-pound blocks are reasonably affordable (the patties are pricey!). I found the 5-pound block difficult to deal with (I divide them into 8-ounce portions), and the 2-pound chubs are only a couple cents more per pound, so I don't bother with the 5-pounder anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give them raw as a treat often many of them do like it-one goes insane and will carry it around attacking the other cats so he gets fed by himself. He was the recent addition and few months old when I trapped him(....)  he is so outgoing he must have had human interaction at some point.

Yeah dog will take care of anything but salad!  She is a disposal for sure.

What are the cheaper cuts of meat that would work?   I have acess to a Indian butcher and that would be goat/chicken obviously beef is not there but can do that at local mart/ BJ's.  I don't cook much except ground or chicken parts so I have no idea from one cut to the next but willing to learn:)

Got my freezer for now pretty empty:)  Need something bigger for sure

Thanks for the help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken thighs are usually cheaper than breasts and other cuts, and are more nutritious. Hearts are usually pretty cheap. Pretty much any kind of meat is fine, unless it's marinated or spiced or something, and you don't want TOO much fat. So whatever they'll sell you cheap! I hear most kitties really like goat :D.

I know some people get free freezer-burned meat from craigslist or freecycle for their dogs. Cats might be pickier about off tastes than dogs are, but it's still good despite the funny taste. If they'll eat it it's a good option.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitties love goat! Really you can feed them any protein they'll eat. :lol3: I feed mine chicken breasts, thighs, livers, gizzards, turkey breast, turkey thighs, turkey hearts, duck hearts, beef pancreas, beef kidney, lamb meat, lamb hearts, lamb liver, pork, pork liver, rabbit, rabbit organs, venison.... what am I forgetting? :lol3:

If you're going to feed meat, not a ground mix, as a supplement to the existing diet, it's fine to feed up to 15% unbalanced. Otherwise, you do need to think about the calcium. Meat has no calcium but a lot of phosphorus. And the guideline when feeding "whole prey model" is to use 80% meat, 10% bone (or use meat for that 10% and a calcium supplement like eggshell in the right amount - that's what Carolina and I do); 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ (gizzards and hearts are muscle organs, not secreting organs).

BTW - there is a local NJ B.A.R.F. Yahoo group you can join. I haven't found it overly helpful because I'm in Northern NJ and don't feed ground stuff. But they do have a buying co-op, and I think you're further south than I am - there seem to be more local places to buy ground mixes from down there. :lol3: (They're mostly dog people, so you just have to make sure the stuff they're recommending doesn't use too much vegetables. They all love this RaawEnergy place, but their mix is 80% meat, 10% bones, and 10% kale or collard greens or something. :dk: Weird. I wouldn't feed that to my cats. ).

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brother has a friend that hunts...should be able to get some free especially since he loves cats and dogs.

I am not far from philly.  Right now its a treat but looking to go over as long as I can afford it considering how cheap I have done the wet.  I am going to focus on the cats who willingly want it and keep the others on it as a treat.   Have a few rooms in this house so can easily feed the raw onlys vs the more hesitant ones.

Only question is the cotw will that affect blood sugar in a cat.  considering the meat is no carb I assume no issues.  That cats 9 yo and been maintaining no shots for over a year on friskies.  Ben is my cat who ate raw years ago before there was much support anywhere. 

Going to go to few places this weekend.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for posting the links! It takes forever from a phone so sometimes I get lazy :lol3:.
I wanted to add that if you find a local source that sells Nature's Variety in all sizes, the 2-pound chubs and the 5-pound blocks are reasonably affordable (the patties are pricey!). I found the 5-pound block difficult to deal with (I divide them into 8-ounce portions), and the 2-pound chubs are only a couple cents more per pound, so I don't bother with the 5-pounder anymore.
I don't have NV available in the two pound chubs OR the five pound blocks :dk: Didn't even know they offered their meats other than the medallions or the large patties! None of the natural stores near me sell NV in chubs!!! Learn something new everyday, huh?? ;)

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Husband is questioning my sanity. 

I asked him to ask his mother who has the best meat quality(under impression we are buying it for ourselves) and um.. where to get organs.

His mother must be wondering what I am up to.  Or if I am a witch or something.

He was raised in 3rd world country where cats are ignored or fed left over cooked food(spicy and bone in plenty of rice/bread) Totally different then most values here. Since those cats were never pets they had access to rodents or what not that were roaming so not an issue.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: My husband doesn't have that background, yet questioned my sanity at first. Now he's freaking that we feed the ferals canned food, not raw. :flail:

As to your question about Ben, feeding raw usually results in feeding about 1.5% carbs. That's vs. the Friskies with - well - it depends on which ones you feed. If the pate, it's like 12% carbs, if I remember correctly. If it's the meaty bits, it's closer to 22%. So no, feeding raw should only help keep him stable. :nod:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH yes..... most DO question my sanity and at times so do I :flail: My hubby has learned over the years there is not stopping me so he goes with the flow :lol3: At times when we are preparing, chopping and dicing meat and most recently for me, hearts :eek:.... I will repeat what Carolina said which just cracked me. If someone came into my kitchen during prep of meats/hearts - it would look like a murder scene :flail: :eek2: Don't worry your hubby will adjust!!! :lol: :vibes: As for the MIL - keep her thinking :rofl:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't see the carbs being an issue-but wanted to be extra careful.  I feed pate.  Every few years he gets something new but his body overcomes it(urinary was issue for years and years then he never had an issue again.

LOL  about murder scene, oh why do I see my mailman coming the first day.  I have that "luck"  Thankfully my husband works set hours so this will get done then.  He is good about random cuts of meat considering he has eaten some organs most of us haven't:S  The cats are my thing.  As long as its not costing us the entire paycheck he is pretty cool. Considering his view on cats and me having enough for our block, he is super understanding:)

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you for considering feeding your ferals/strays raw.  Do I understand that you feed 30 (thirty) cats and one dog!  Wow!

I feed the colony I take care of what ever raw food Ritz doesn't want, as well as the excess fat and bone.  One cat loves it--runs away with it; two or three will eat some; the rest don't recognize what it is!  I feed Friskies wet and dry.

Regarding protein--you can buy beef/chicken/turkey/lamb/pork at or on the 'sell-by' date at your local big-chain grocery stores at 30 to 50% off, at least you can where I live (Washington, DC).  The cats can't tell the difference between expensive cuts of meat or lower quality, though some cuts of meat tend to be fatter and chewier than others.  Stew beef is tough.

Ritz loves goat (I buy at asian/spanish food market store) and loves loves loves rabbit (asian/spanish food and local Amish Farmer's Market).  Both are expensive; the 30%/50% off helps me afford the $$ meat.  Ritz likes veal, too--figures!