Curious About Purina Plan Veterinary Ur, And Types Of Crystals

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My big boy Quincy (now 9 years old) just gave us a litterbox scare this weekend. He had a blockage 5 years ago, and right before we had planned to go to bed this past Friday I noticed him going to the litterbox over and over with no results. Rushed him to the ER in a huge thunderstorm at 1 a.m.:eek: Result was that he was NOT blocked but had an infection and crystals. Received the usual meds (Clavamox, anti-spas, bup), and a prescription for Purina Veterinary UR (both wet and dry, but I am only filling the Rx for wet and feeding him that exclusively). A sample was sent to the lab and we're still waiting on culture results, but the presumption is he'll need more Clavamox than what the ER gave us.

I am wondering (just out of nerdy curiosity more than anything else) if anyone knows by what mechanism the Purina Vet UR works. I know most urinary foods use a combination of certain restricted nutrients, increased sodium (to increase thirst) and dl-methionine (to dissolve crystals). I note that Purina Vet UR says it dissolves both kinds of crystals, but it has no dl-methionine. Does anyone know how exactly it works?

Also, do vets typically test for which type of crystals a cat has? My reason for asking is that for about the last 4 years he's been eating Dave's Restricted Diet Magnesium & Phosphorus, as an alternative to what he was prescribed at the time of his blockage 5 years ago (Hills s/d followed by c/d). It has better ingredients than c/d, with the same approach (the restricted nutrients plus dl-methionine content). Also, my vet believes that as long as a cat gets mostly wet food, any wet food is fine, and that Quincy didn't need to be on Rx food. (FWIW I agree he doesn't usually need to be on Rx food, but I don't agree that "any wet food is fine".) Quincy also was (not anymore) getting a VERY small amount of a high quality grain free dry food WITH dl-methionine as a treat each day...certainly not enough to cause a blockage, especially since he was getting dl-methionine. But now I wonder if he was getting TOO much dl-methionine and maybe the crystals he has now are the OTHER kind. Maybe I need to get a pH kit!!! But anyway, does anyone know if my theory has any plausibility, and/or if vets routinely test to see which type of crystal?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Good questions. I read in Cat Fancy the dietary treatment for one crystal causes a different type of crystal in the urine. Unfortunately I can only remember there are two types of crystals, oxylate and struvite, and magnesium is a nutrient to watch. It is true that cats with urinary crystals have opposite dietary needs for each type.

Prescription diets generally are not healthy for cats even if they treat the problem. If your kitty will not eat Purina UR, it is completely useless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fortunately he's not finicky, and he actually seems to like it very much. Just got through the 4 cans from the ER, which were nasty bits-in-gravy, and the case I ordered from Chewy of the pate version (with somewhat better ingredients) arrived right on time today. He seems happy and is doing well.

Clearly I need to rethink my strategy of feeding him what was essentially a non-Rx version of a urinary/restricted diet food with dl-methionine. It's just he'd been doing so well these past 5 years...until Friday he'd been peeing like a racehorse since the blockage. Everybody else in the house eats Friskies non-seafood flavor pates (I have six kitties in all and just can't give everyone the $2.00/can high end food I'd like to give them). I'll have to figure out, with my vet's help, if he's stuck on Purina Vet UR forever now, or if there's something else that would work. Not knowing what makes the Vet UR "tick" so to speak makes his future diet hard to figure out. I may end up calling Purina, but I'm not confident their hotline staff knows either.:dunno: