Curious about color and breed

hopey1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

I was blessed today with a new addition to our family after losing our beloved cat Boo Boo back in Febuary. I'm new to the forums and need a bit of advice. This little guy I named "Bleu" today primarily because of his eyes and looks like a blue roan horse(horse trainer). He has points that are black and you can see a barely visible tabby to the face. I saw his Mother she was a black and white shorthair ..very small and thin. Is it possible that this cat will be black or is he maybe part siamese with the points? I've never seen a catthis color before..he's supposively 6 weeks old. Thanks you all for your time

Thanks..

Hope

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to tell from the photo, but he seems to be a black tortie. Possibly a tortie tabby but the tabby could just be ghost markings that will fade.

Very young to be away from his mum too. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's certainly not a Siamese pattern - those cats are white at birth and darken from the points because they are cooler.

My personal guess is he's a very unsound black (e.g. not black to the roots of his coat) and might well get blacker as he matures and loses his kitten coat.  Is he definitely a boy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopey1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@OrientalSlave & Missymotus,  he's definately a boy, I was looking for a female but coldnt find one in the litter. These kittens were barn cats and the Father was unknown. Some of the other kittens had white on them with these colors. I did notice in the bright light that he does has the stripes(tabby ?) in with the darker color on him. I guess whhat I was wondering is if he with shed that cotton ball looking fur on his back as he gets older? The grayish fur is salt and peppered in to the rot with black or a darker slate color. His color is really cool :) thanks for your time and help! bTW why did you ask if he's definately a boy? Trying to get the most info from you guys..lol

Hope

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually only girls are tortie. . .and in his pic he looks sort of tortie. But I think it's just the shading on his ears. I think he'll end up being solid black. He's a cutie!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is 6 weeks old, the blue eyes might just be the kitten eye color, they may change color. It's really hard to tell the fur color from that photo, if you can get more/better photos it may be easier.

If he has a paler undercoat, he may be a black smoke? I think sometimes they have dark tabby markings, especially as kittens.

You say he looks like a blue roan though, so maybe he is a blue tabby or even just solid blue, they sometimes have "ghost tabby" markings as kittens which generally fade away as they grow up.

Last edited:

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he may possibly just be a black kitten with ghost markings who has a fever coat. The fever coat gives them that whiteish/greyish fur but it grows out eventually to their black fur color [sometimes it takes months for it to grow completely out]. I believe it's caused when the momma has a fever during pregnancy.