Crystal Cat Litter

WhiteWolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone use crystal litter? I am looking for feedback on different brands. I read good reviews for the one by Nature's Miracle but it has been out of stock for a while so I am looking at different options.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have used it and it can be really fantastic.
Pros are; it is well worth the cost, great odor protection, easy lightweight clean up, cats seem to like it.
Cons are; it can be quite dusty when you fill the litterpan, if the litterbox is overturned or you have a cat who flings litter the crystals can feel a bit like stepping on shards of broken glass it can get a little sticky too.

Overall, I had good results with the silica crystals and I have no bad feelings toward them. I would probably be using them today if the pet store could have enough in stock to fill my needs.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used Tigerino for a long time and I still think it's the best type of litter for odour control. Every time I would step on some though, I felt bad for Elf! I put a second litter box down with other litter and she's never used the silica again. :disappointed: Still looking for something that doesn't feel like shards of glass on her paws, because nothing so far holds up to the kind of odour control Tigerino has!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like fresh results. But the price fluctuates from less than $8 to $16 on amazon for an 8lb bag. I buy them when theyre $8. They absorb better than fresh step. I read about petsmarts brand exquisicat crystal litter so i will be trying them out this week.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Tigerino for a long time and I still think it's the best type of litter for odour control. Every time I would step on some though, I felt bad for Elf! I put a second litter box down with other litter and she's never used the silica again. :disappointed: Still looking for something that doesn't feel like shards of glass on her paws, because nothing so far holds up to the kind of odour control Tigerino has!
I noticed that petsmarts brand exquisicat has a much finer crystal cat litter as well. Looked like sand! Might want to check it out.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I noticed that petsmarts brand exquisicat has a much finer crystal cat litter as well. Looked like sand! Might want to check it out.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm in Europe though and haven't seen that brand online but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like fresh results. But the price fluctuates from less than $8 to $16 on amazon for an 8lb bag. I buy them when theyre $8.
I know! That is so annoying. I have to keep a constant eye on the price and order when it's lowest. I wish they would be more consistent.

Mimi litter has fine crystals, I like it a lot. They sell it at Walmart, $8 for an 8-pound bag, $4.38 for a 4-pound bag. But only one Walmart I go to stocks the 8-pound bag, they rarely have more than 1 or 2 bags on the shelf, and you can't buy it online at that price. . .grrr!

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the brands available in Europe. I can only suggest trying all the available brands in your price range and see which one you and your cat like best.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know! That is so annoying. I have to keep a constant eye on the price and order when it's lowest. I wish they would be more consistent.

Mimi litter has fine crystals, I like it a lot. They sell it at Walmart, $8 for an 8-pound bag, $4.38 for a 4-pound bag. But only one Walmart I go to stocks the 8-pound bag, they rarely have more than 1 or 2 bags on the shelf, and you can't buy it online at that price. . .grrr!

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the brands available in Europe. I can only suggest trying all the available brands in your price range and see which one you and your cat like best.
I always see mimi but it was just sooo dusty when i tried it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm in Europe though and haven't seen that brand online but I'll keep an eye out for it.
Oh sorry, no wonder i havent heard of tigerino either.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats really liked the petco so phresh small crystal litter. But it stuck to the bottom of the pan like super glue. I had to beat and beat the pee clumps off the bottom everyday it seemed like. It also tracked rather bad. I also tried the brand's large crystal litter. My cats didn't like that at all. I work for petco so I've tried all the litter they carry at one point or another. My cats and I settled on everclean. It's heavy as heck and tracks everywhere but wow the odor control, the clumping, the fact that I don't need to change it out completely everyweek is so nice. I've found with any kind of litter there will always be a give and take thing. It's just hard to find something that totally pleases you and your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WhiteWolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the feedback everyone. Do I need to be worried about added fragrance when trying new crystal litters or are they basically all unscented?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're all unscented, that I've found at least. I think they might absorb any scent that's added, lol.

If you like the small grain crystal litter, I highly recommend Dr Elsey's Senior and Respiratory Relief crystal litters. Very small grain, almost sand-like. Too expensive for me but not super expensive, if you only have a few cats it may be worth it.