Crying kitty

takas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 9 month old keeps wanting to go inside our room. We don't let him in because allergies issues. We spend time with him all day but when we go to sleep he sits by the door crying. Is it ok to not let him in our room? Would he get used to it? Tk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

takas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes but he barely plays with it. right now he has been sneezing and I think I heard him cough a couple times I dk if he's trying to cough out a hairball. We just adopted him a week ago so that's probably what got him sick. The vet prescribed some brown liquid medicine but it's been almost a week and nothing. Good thing he goes back there Wednesday for his next set of shots. He is eating and drinking water btw

Here is a pic of gandalf

takas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No. We keep the door shut

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Such a cutie!

If you really don't want him in the bedroom, then definitely keep the door closed at all times, and ignore him when he starts to cry by the door at night. Responding to his crying will only keep him crying.

Seems mean, but he'll get the idea and eventually learn that he isn't allowed in the bedroom.

As a side thought - how bad are the allergies? If you don't want to ignore the crying, whoever is allergic can always pop an antihistamine before bed?! :lol3:

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our 2 have never slept with us because of allergy issues.  DH takes meds daily and is good about washing his hands and things; but he still notices a difference if he falls asleep on the couch with them vs just sleeping in bed.  Our girls bother him less than they used to; some people develop a tolerance for their own pets.  But it's still not good enough that we can let them in.  

I agree; do not let him in your room at all and do not respond to his cries.  It'll just "reward" his crying even if you just shoo him away.  You can try to make a bedtime routine and give him his last meal at your bedtime.  Play with him till he is good and tired, feed him and then you go to bed.  Hopefully this will help him be sleepy and ready to settle down somewhere else.  With Mooch and Noodles I think we had it a bit easier because they had each other for company and they were only 11 weeks old when we brought them home.  They were small enough that they were crated at night in a large wire dog crate.  

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
While I do think a lot of cats can adjust to not sleeping in the room with you, there certainly are a few that need/desire someone to sleep with...either a person or another cat/dog. I have 3 that fit into the latter category. They've actually been adopted out as "onlies" just to come back to me later because they weren't adjusting. So, these kitties will either stay with me or must be adopted out with a buddy. I don't know if Gandalf having a buddy is an option of you or not.

With all that said, you've only had Gandalf for a week. He is still adjusting and if he's gotten sick on top of it, I can certainly understand his neediness. I say give him a few weeks to adjust.

cherryripe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, make sure you check with your vet about your cat having 'cat flu'.  I adopted my little one one week ago and she started sneezing that nite and sneezing every day since.  Then her nose was runny and eye watery (after 5 days).  Took her to the vet two days ago and she's on antibiotics, they gave her some pain relief and an injection to hydrate her.  She's been eating so that hasn't been a problem which was good.  She now has conjunctivitis and her runny nose is started to be yellow in color....lucky again that she's on antibiotics.

The vet told me that the cat flu can be bought on by the stress off re-homing and my cat was in contact with cat flu at the adoption agency.  She will now have cat flu any time and I will need to keep my eyes on her ...she will also need to have the flu vaccine every year to lessen the symptoms if & when she gets it.

She also cries and follows me and she like to cuddle with me and purrs but she sleeps in my room as I don't want her to go into my boys room over-nite as one of my son has allergies and sometimes can have it to her but I treat this with antihistamine and it has worked so far for us.

Hope your baby is ok.

takas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah he's on antibiotics and is getting better he has an uri. He used to sneeze a lot.

miss holly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For me, I would take an antihistamine and open the door!

Our 9 month old keeps wanting to go inside our room. We don't let him in because allergies issues. We spend time with him all day but when we go to sleep he sits by the door crying. Is it ok to not let him in our room? Would he get used to it? Tk