Crying crying crying cats

Hway10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2, 7 month old rescue kitties are the most vocal cats I’ve EVER met. We have had them for 2 months...since day 1 we were getting woken up in the early morning between 3:30-6:30am. Of course adjustment period makes sense. It’s 2nd month and there hasn’t been a SINGLE day where we have been woken up after 7am(we go to bed around 11:30-midnight). EVERY DAY. We have never acknowledged them, we have never gotten up, talked to them(maybe in our sleep) and it’s EVERY MORNING. So after week one we started to change their schedule. We play for 2 hours before bed(9-11pm) and play twice during the day for a little bit. It definitely makes them wake us up towards the 6/7am mark but that’s still not enough sleep 11:30-6/7 for me personally. We have tonssss of various types of toys and all they want is to cry cry cry even when we do get up and they cry for another hour and when we give them attention when we wake up(on human terms) and pet them if we stop there’s crying again. I love my kitties but I really need help.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Two thoughts come to mind: 1.) do they have access to food overnight? These are still kittens and should pretty much be able to eat at will. So, if you are not leaving food out, you might consider doing so. 2.) if they get along together well enough now, you could put them in another room overnight with the door closed - food/water/litter boxes/toys/etc. with them. They would have each other for company, and would soon figure out that their crying is to no avail. Even if you think you are waking up to pet them on 'your terms', they likely don't see it that way. What they see is that you eventually pay attention to them if they are persistent enough with their crying.

See if there is anything in this TCS article you might be interested in trying. How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
So after week one we started to change their schedule. We play for 2 hours before bed(9-11pm) and play twice during the day for a little bit. It definitely makes them wake us up towards the 6/7am mark but that’s still not enough sleep 11:30-6/7 for me personally.
Hi Hway10 Hway10 ...this is a bit of a difficult one, because cats are mostly crepuscular and like to be awake at dawn and dusk, and seem to be very active at these times. It does change for some, and also changes over time, as your cats get used to your schedules.

1. The kittens are rapidly growing now, ...so they may be very, very hungry at those times.
Can you put out some dry food out, overnight. (even though many members don't recommend dry, (but I feed mine both dry and wet).
If they have access to food for grazing, they may be okay, to hold them off till later in the morning.

2. Making them puzzle-feeders may also help, to occupy their morning times.
This website has some suggestions: Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats
(I read about this from other members from this Site, and if you do a 'Search' in the top right hand corner....you'll also find other threads where mention of these food-puzzles and other ideas are.)

3. Another Cat Site Article mentions having 'timed-feeders'.
I've not tried this, but it might work.
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)
We have tonssss of various types of toys and all they want is to cry cry cry even when we do get up and they cry for another hour and when we give them attention when we wake up(on human terms) and pet them if we stop there’s crying again. I love my kitties but I really need help.
(I feel for you, ...since my female cat seems to always want to wake myself or my sister up at 4am or 5am.
This was the usual time my sister would wake for work, 5am to get ready,...so I think that our female cat is acting like a 'cat alarm clock'. The male cat, strangely likes to sleep-in. Though, there have been known to be very loud play-runs at 2am, from both cats, too.)

I sleep with ear-plugs, ...and the door closed.
But when the ear plugs fall out, I sometimes can hear the soft tapping, or soft meowing at my door, too.

I think you will have to Ignore them, at these times, or else they will want the attention at those times.
Easier said then done, I know.

As they grow, they will change.
But now, they are young, and want to be with you, or see you all the time.
Cats dislike closed doors.

((ETA: Ha, looks like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , and I posted at the same time.
I'd like to say "great minds think alike"....but then I'd be bragging a bit, ...with some truth thrown in. haha. :blush: :thumbsup:

Try that 'putting them in a separate room, too'...since that seems to be another very easy idea to try.
(I cannot take the credit for that idea, but will add it in the future to my own list. :wink:))

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hway10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Two thoughts come to mind: 1.) do they have access to food overnight? These are still kittens and should pretty much be able to eat at will. So, if you are not leaving food out, you might consider doing so. 2.) if they get along together well enough now, you could put them in another room overnight with the door closed - food/water/litter boxes/toys/etc. with them. They would have each other for company, and would soon figure out that their crying is to no avail. Even if you think you are waking up to pet them on 'your terms', they likely don't see it that way. What they see is that you eventually pay attention to them if they are persistent enough with their crying.

See if there is anything in this TCS article you might be interested in trying. How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)
Thanks for the feedback! We always keep food in their bowls.... I have heard of different rooms but we live in apartment and I don’t know if sticking a litter box in the bathroom each night and locking them in would be great. We don’t have room in the bathroom to always keep the box so we’d have to mov it each time? Not sure.

Hway10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Hway10 Hway10 ...this is a bit of a difficult one, because cats are mostly crepuscular and like to be awake at dawn and dusk, and seem to be very active at these times. It does change for some, and also changes over time, as your cats get used to your schedules.

1. The kittens are rapidly growing now, ...so they may be very, very hungry at those times.
Can you put out some dry food out, overnight. (even though many members don't recommend dry, (but I feed mine both dry and wet).
If they have access to food for grazing, they may be okay, to hold them off till later in the morning.

2. Making them puzzle-feeders may also help, to occupy their morning times.
This website has some suggestions: Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats
(I read about this from other members from this Site, and if you do a 'Search' in the top right hand corner....you'll also find other threads where mention of these food-puzzles and other ideas are.)

3. Another Cat Site Article mentions having 'timed-feeders'.
I've not tried this, but it might work.
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)

(I feel for you, ...since my female cat seems to always want to wake myself or my sister up at 4am or 5am.
This was the usual time my sister would wake for work, 5am to get ready,...so I think that our female cat is acting like a 'cat alarm clock'. The male cat, strangely likes to sleep-in. Though, there have been known to be very loud play-runs at 2am, from both cats, too.)

I sleep with ear-plugs, ...and the door closed.
But when the ear plugs fall out, I sometimes can hear the soft tapping, or soft meowing at my door, too.

I think you will have to Ignore them, at these times, or else they will want the attention at those times.
Easier said then done, I know.

As they grow, they will change.
But now, they are young, and want to be with you, or see you all the time.
Cats dislike closed doors.

((ETA: Ha, looks like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , and I posted at the same time.
I'd like to say "great minds think alike"....but then I'd be bragging a bit, ...with some truth thrown in. haha. :blush: :thumbsup:

Try that 'putting them in a separate room, too'...since that seems to be another very easy idea to try.
(I cannot take the credit for that idea, but will add it in the future to my own list. :wink:))
I need to get ear plugs!!!! I thought of this and then forgot until now. We tried closed door in the very beginning and That was the loudest yodeling and crying we have ever heard so that was a no go and plus we like them to come in and on the bed especially in a small place.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to get ear plugs!!!! I thought of this and then forgot until now. We tried closed door in the very beginning and That was the loudest yodeling and crying we have ever heard so that was a no go and plus we like them to come in and on the bed especially in a small place.
Ahh, okay, I hear you.
So you kind of want the 'best of both worlds'. The cute cuddling, and sleeping with you...but the 'no interruption sleep', until very late morning.
Yeah, I don't think that's really possible, when they are young. :)

And no, don't stick them in a small bathroom. That would be terrible. They need room to play and roam, explore.
*Can you add shelving, or obstacle courses with boxes, and tunnels in the living room...to get the kittens to want to stay there and play, explore.

Do you sleep with your bedroom door open?

I wonder if they've invented anything like a 'remote control for turning on the t.v. and setting the channel to something like a bird channel'? or cat music? aquarium channel?
(I'm reaching for straws now, ...I know.)

(This is kind of what my friend's daughter does when she wants 'quiet morning time' from her kids...she just places them in front of the tv. with their juice bottles, and lets them watch cartoons. Not sure if that is the greatest, but hey, if it works.)

Is it only one kitten that wakes you up? or both?
How do they do it?
Walking on you, then right up to your face and meowing?

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since my cat Maggie was 3 months old her play time has not changed though not as wild. She wants to play with me after I get up,mid day,before dinner. And exactly when I go to bed so I end up locking her out then minutes later she is banging on my door to sleep with me. She, has cubes,cat tower, tons of toys. After breakfast she gives a loud meow and wants me to follow her to the living room or bedroom. She is 6 yes old now

Hway10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh, okay, I hear you.
So you kind of want the 'best of both worlds'. The cute cuddling, and sleeping with you...but the 'no interruption sleep', until very late morning.
Yeah, I don't think that's really possible, when they are young. :)

And no, don't stick them in a small bathroom. That would be terrible. They need room to play and roam, explore.
*Can you add shelving, or obstacle courses with boxes, and tunnels in the living room...to get the kittens to want to stay there and play, explore.

Do you sleep with your bedroom door open?

I wonder if they've invented anything like a 'remote control for turning on the t.v. and setting the channel to something like a bird channel'? or cat music? aquarium channel?
(I'm reaching for straws now, ...I know.)

(This is kind of what my friend's daughter does when she wants 'quiet morning time' from her kids...she just places them in front of the tv. with their juice bottles, and lets them watch cartoons. Not sure if that is the greatest, but hey, if it works.)

Is it only one kitten that wakes you up? or both?
How do they do it?
Walking on you, then right up to your face and meowing?
so we have 2 types of tunnels in the living room... some shelving specifically for them that they didn’t really like from the beginning Tons of toys and a big tower....they love the TV and the awesome YouTube videos for cats with birds and etc. I wonder if I could leave that on for a bit.
They do not sleep with us in bed. They have their spots each night where they sleep, Ruby on my dresser and Louie on my hamper. In the morning they both wake us up by sitting next to the bed and crying crying crying. Sometimes they will come up sit stare and cry. I don’t need late late mornings just later than 6:30/7. When we get up they run in our legs cry cry and want us to go to the kitchen... they were started on wet food and transitioned to a mix of dry and some boiled chopped chicken. After we give them their food they cry and run in our legs again for about an hour sitting staring following us. Then they mellow.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am assuming they are fixed? Are you giving them any attention before you get up? Ie talking to them, yelling, throwing toys etc? The only thing you can do is play with them a ton before bed to the point they are panting, then give them a big meal and go to bed. Then completely ignore them until you get up. Sometimes its attention seeking behavior, kittens get lonely and in their real world they would be up outside hunting, cats are nocturnal lol.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
so we have 2 types of tunnels in the living room... some shelving specifically for them that they didn’t really like from the beginning Tons of toys and a big tower....they love the TV and the awesome YouTube videos for cats with birds and etc. I wonder if I could leave that on for a bit.
They do not sleep with us in bed. They have their spots each night where they sleep, Ruby on my dresser and Louie on my hamper. In the morning they both wake us up by sitting next to the bed and crying crying crying. Sometimes they will come up sit stare and cry. I don’t need late late mornings just later than 6:30/7. When we get up they run in our legs cry cry and want us to go to the kitchen... they were started on wet food and transitioned to a mix of dry and some boiled chopped chicken. After we give them their food they cry and run in our legs again for about an hour sitting staring following us. Then they mellow.
It seems like you have tried everything. Very happy healthy cats! They are lucky to have you. Time will tell when they quiet down. My cat Maggie used to meow by herself at night I gues just to hear her voice. Still does. Just not as much.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had my 1.5 year old for 3 months now, so here's what I've noticed with the early morning behavior: My cat has learned that when the alarm goes off at 6am on weekdays, I HAVE to get up. Therefore, even though he rummages around and starts trouble earlier (anytime from 3:30-5:30) he has sort of learned that I won't really do much so he doesn't get loud or try too hard. But when the alarm goes off, he starts meowing until I get out of bed (who needs a snooze button). Do you have an alarm set? They might learn that you won't give them attention until they hear the alarm.

I sleep with ear plugs in, which definitely helps cut out the early rooting around noises! I live in a studio, so closing a door has never been an option! He also sleeps in bed with me (on my legs 😭 ) and we go to bed between 11 and midnight (he is often the first one of us asleep). Now, on weekends, it's a bit of a push and pull situation. Sometimes he will start getting loud after 6 even if the alarm didn't go off. I find it is easier to get up for twenty minutes (play, feed wet food) and then go back to bed. Sometimes he gets the picture and at about 7 comes back to bed on his own (usually the time I'd leave for work). I recently started giving him calming treats after his nighttime play session, which I think has helped, along with me not giving in to him and allowing him to have "dummy" stuff that he can toss on the floor/ claw at while I continue to sleep.

This morning, for instance, he woke up at about 4:30. I was nervous because sometimes it takes him a long time to come back to bed and that's the worst time (if he comes back at 5:30, we're just going to get up 30 minutes later). He wandered around, tried to lick my face to get me to wake up, then after a little while, I made a "leg tent" and he crawled under the blanket and was back asleep before 5am, giving me that last hour of sleep. It's not perfect, but we're figuring it out. It used to be that he'd howl and then try to wreck anything he could get his paws on, so I'll count being able to go BACK to sleep for a little while in the win column.