Cry during sleep, nightmares?

Drewster

Single cat dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night i woke up to my cat making a loud moaning crying sound, i first thought he was just trying to get my attention until i realized he was still asleep and making these sounds, this is the 2nd time ive heard this since i adopted him a year and a half ago. Once i gave him pets and he woke up for a second he seemed fine acted normal the rest of the day, no changes to his eating drinking or bodily functions. Was he just having a nightmare? I know cats have spasms and such but rarely hear about them being vocal like that and the fact he was an abandoned stray before i adopted him maybe he abused before or had some trauma from when he was on tue streets? Is this Something to worry about or just nightmares?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon moans at times when she is asleep, so I would assume she is "dreaming". Who knows, cats can get nightmares too. Although I read one article somewhere before that there is no scientific evidence that cats can experience "nightmares". I doubt this though, with having to witness Bourbon moaning in her sleep on several occasions.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats apparently do have dreams, and hence nightmares. If he woke quickly and normally, this is almost certainly the case. Hek has them on occasion, and as she sleeps with me, I do know that a gentle hand on her side almost always quiets her immediately.