Crusty peeling backs of ears

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The litter of strays that have had one health problem or another since their birth April 20th has a new problem. A couple of them had an ear that started to curl, even though neither parent, both strays as well, has a curl. The back of the curled ear started to get darker and thicker-looking, then it started developing a crusty surface. Now the curl is straightening out and the crusty part is peeling off, leaving bare skin exposed. It's not a large area, but it's noticable. The ones without the curled ear seem to have small bald patches on the backs of their ears now, too. They have fleas, the flea meds didn't work. We had to get weak ones because of their age/size, and it didn't do anything. But they don't seem to be scratching at their ears at all since we got rid of the mites 8 weeks ago. Has anyone seen this before? The vet said not to worry about it, but I'm curious nonetheless. Thanks!

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So they had ear mites which were successfully treated, right?
And the scabs from all the scratching are now coming off?

Sounds normal enough, except for the curling. But I guess very scratched up ear skin could contract while it was scabbed over, thus causing the curl? Did they ever get hematomas?

If the vet says they're fine, then I guess it's all OK- the hair will regrow. It's normal for them to lose hair under a scab that severe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. Actually, the never scabbed from the earmites - we caught them early and treated them successfully. The curling started first, and there were no scabs or hematoma. Strange, isn't it?

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So what caused the crusty surface if wasn't from them scratching their ears?
Or is that the question??

weird, all right!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill

So what caused the crusty surface if wasn't from them scratching their ears?
Or is that the question??

weird, all right!
That was my question too. Today I took the entire litter in (found out the limping and fevers are calicivirus, uggh!!), the vet said it looked like a couple might have had ringworm (you can imagine my horror at the very word!
), but he said it seems to have cleared up on its own.

I hope he's right, last thing we need is ringworm on top of everything else!