Crossing the rainbow bridge

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He wasn't a cat but this morning my childhood best frined Bailey crossed the rainbow bridge and I'm totally heart broken I can't stop crying and when I do something sets me off again. I was planning on adopting another cat and now that he's gone the idea of adopting another cat almost feels like I am betraying him :(

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry your lost your best friend, Bailey.  I lost mine 33 days days ago and he was not a cat either.  More like my little soul mate.  Tell us about him & what happened.  For me, adopting a cat is something I will wait a long time to do. You need time to grieve his loss so it probably would not be a good time to get another.  Take care! RIP Bailey.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know your heart is broken, it's so very hard to accept the loss of such and important part of your life. Please try to remember your sweet Bailey would never want you to remember him with such pain. You loved each other unconditionally and he leaves with you this legacy, he would want you to pass it on to another little soul. In this way a little part of him goes on living. Another cat would never take his place in your heart, there is room to spare for them to share. When you are ready, and you will know when that is, another sweet baby that desperately needs someone to love will fill you once more with happiness and smiles. When my Chrissy died, a part of me died with her. My remaining two babies pulled me out of that depression by demanding my attention and love the way cats do. It's never a bad thing to not dwell on sadness and despair, but to turn our attention and thoughts to the present and to those who remain with us. I wish I could take your pain away, all I can do is say I understand and will pray for you and sweet Bailey to find peace. RIP beautiful Bailey!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
@StephieDoodle   My condolences for the loss of your Bailey.  Tears are not a bad thing, and may help release the sorrow you feel, as you grieve. It will happen a lot, at this time. 

I don't think your childhood best friend would ever think you were betraying him, but rather, he would want you to go on, and share the love you have given him, and he has given you, with another special friend.

When you are ready, you will know.  RIP,  Bailey.

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful friend.  
  I wish there was something I could say to help ease your pain.  I think when you are ready to adopt, it will be an honor to Bailey.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all the plan to adopt has been ongoing since he became sick though I do miss him today I am reveling in the fond memories of my baby x

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am really sad to hear about Bailey.  I never had a larger fur friend as a child or young person and can only imagine how hard it is to loose such a close friend, but I am confident that the advice others have given you is right.  I think you will know when the time is right to adopt another animal in to your home and that by doing this is will be an honour to Bailey.  After all, how could he ever wish you not open your heart and share the love that you shared with him?  He would not want you to feel sad or to leave another creature without a loving home.  

It is good that you are able to focus on fond and happy memories of Bailey, and I hope this will help your heart to heal and feel ready to move forwards with what ever you decide in terms of any potential future adoption.  Don't rush in to any decision but take time to listen to your heart.  

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss :( I know when adopting thoughts come my way, I shift to the thoughts "gosh there's a kitty out there that really needs some love" rather than thoughts of what I had with my Minnie and how much I miss her.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was going to wait along time to adopt a cat.  Today at work (humane society)  a beautiful siamese mix came in with beautiful blue eyes.  She is very fluffy, 2 years old with grey coloring & points but has an almost black strip vertically on her face.  Everyone at the shelter is urging me to adopt her.  She is also very friendly, which is odd because she just came from animal control.  I am tempted but still sobbing for my Rizzo.  Just don't think the time is right, but a cat like this doesn't come through this often.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to adopting soon after the death of a pet, I suggest going with your gut instinct. If you adopt too soon there will be stress instead of a bond. Follow your heart. It must be open and free to love again, to do otherwise is most unfair to any cat you might adopt, no matter how special they seem.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Bailey, my thoughts and prayers go out to you during this difficult time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all I'm now taking his loss alot better and am thinking fondly of him though I will forever miss him I know eventually he'd want me to share my love and home with a new companion even though he lived out the end of his days at the home of my parents.