crossing my fingers...

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is the first day I've not separated Holland and Daymon while I'm at work.
They haven't been separated overnight for at least a week, and I've left them alone while I run quick errands, never more than an hour or so.

I'm still waiting for that all-important cat pile, but for now I'm settling for Holland not hissing at Daymon every time he moves. They are so cute - he wants SO badly to play with her... She was sitting in the bathroom this morning while I was getting ready, and he sauntered in, went straight up to her and head-butted her in the forehead. I think she was quite taken aback, because she kind of froze for a second, then hissed at him to remind him to respect her personal space.

There has definitely been some playful chasing between them, but for the most part she still tries to pretend that he just doesn't exist. I'm confident they aren't going to hurt each other, and hopefully some no-mommy-around time will help them bond.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sure it will all be fine!  Let us know how the house looks when u get home, hopefully nothing out of place. :)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure it will be fine. I mean, they may never be the best of friends, but it sounds like they are tolerating each other well enough. Some cats take more time than others to give up their space to another kitty. I had one cat years ago that HATED it each time I brought in a new one. That was HER home and any other feline was unwanted company. It took her 6 months to warm up to the last addition (a little kitten I found on the side of the road that wanted a mother figure desperately). Sassy didn't want anything to do with him and hissed at him whenever she saw him. But, one day, after 6 months I came home to find them both curled up in the cat bed and Sassy grooming Tigger. I almost had a heartattack! She just looked at me and sighed, as if to say.."well, you aren't going to get rid of the brat so I may as well make sure he's clean" and went right back to cleaning him. Cats are funny.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everybody survived and no major damage to the apartment (at least not that I've found yet...
)! They were both just hanging out when I got home, I was so happy that Daymon wasn't just hiding under the bed. For a cat who's been scared and shy since I adopted her, Holland sure knows how to intimidate her brother. So I know I can leave them alone together, now it's just a waiting game for when they (hopefully) start cuddling and grooming each other.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
That's great :) they probably just slept while you were gone!

It's been almost 5 months since I brought Cassie home.. they play and eat together, but they rarely groom each other, and I've never seen them cuddle with each other. I am still waiting for that, lol. The closest I've seen them sleep is about a foot apart.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome news - glad that they are getting along!  Holland is probably waiting (like Sassy in the story above) for you to say, "Okay, Daymon was a nice experiment, but we like it just us, don't we?"  Poor girl... she'll get used to him!  I think you have pretty good chance of a kitty pile given some time, since she is tolerating him pretty well already!  And Karen is right... they're probably snuggling while you're at work just to spite you!