Cross Country Drive with Kitty...Training??

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband and I are moving cross country in the next few months. We've got one cat, an 8 year old male tabby. He's NOT a fan of being in the car...of course, the car only takes him to the vet!

I've read that people get cat carriers, have little dishes of food and water, and stop a few times a day with kitty in harness to walk around outside and get fresh air. Some people use sedatives but I'm not crazy about that.

My question is...can you TRAIN your cat to like the car? I hate the thought of him being distressed for a week's drive, so I decided to get him used to the car in stages. Today we're in stage one. I took him outside, we got in the car, and I turned it on. We sat for 5 minutes. At first he cowered and cried, but then he calmed down and investigated. Then he began purring and snuggling me. When I brought him in, he ran upstairs. I was hoping that I could do this 3 times a week, until he felt used to being in the car, and then I'd start going around the block.

Would it be crazy for him to be LOOSE in the car? Or should he always be in a cat kennel?

Is this training a crazy idea to begin with?

Any other advice for this upcoming trip?

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Loose kitty in the car can be a very bad thing. If he gets under your feet while driveing he could cause a accedent not to mention if you get into a accedent he could be injured serverly by not being in a crate.

But for that long of a drive it seems like he should get time out of the crate if you are at a rest stop parked I personaly don't see why you could not let him out to stretch his legs or if he is used to a harness to get out for a walk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband would never let me drive with kitty loose in the car...just wishful thinking. I've had dogs in the past and of course, they're able to be loose and looking out the window! I just want our little guy to be comfortable, however we can do it.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would do the car training every single day. Take him on short drives around the neighborhood. My Pandora hated the car and after her surgery she had to go to work with me every day so I could keep an eye on her (she had stitches). After a few days she got used to car and it was no biggie.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can learn to enjoy car rides and even tractor rides - I have two that are ride crazy, and one other that will ride if walking means getting wet. Would I go far with any of them loose in the vehicle? No, it is too risky, they can get silly.
Teach the cat that the carrier is not a torture chamber and get it used to the carrier and the car. Once it finds that carrier + car does not always equal vet, it should relax a lot. As to the move, find pet friendly motels along your route and stop for the night unless you are teaming and both marathon drivers. I moved with a cat, and he quietly rode in his carrier for 9 hours, not a problem; in fact, he would travel with me at times before the move, always in his carrier.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like how you are getting him in the car in stages and working up with the times. Keep doing it that way. By all means keep him in the carrier. It will help him feel more safe. I would get a carrier big enough for a litter box and put a food and water area on the door the crate. I would not do any leash training to compound the stress already on him. You can let him out of the carrier in your hotel at night.
I am glad you are taking him with you on your move!
My cat has moved a lot of times with us and to different states and she has adjusted to the new homes just fine. I am sure yours will too.