Cronic renal failure question?

minnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a beloved nineteen year old cat who has cronic renal failure. She has been stable for the past year eating well and all but has recently started peeing on my clothes that I leave on the floor. My vet put her on antibiotics but says there is not much he can do as her kidneys are not functioning well. He said that he could give IV fluids but recommended them if her appetite decreased. She is still eating well but desipte has slowly been dropping weight. Do you think I should just get him to give her the fluids? What are the benefits, I would do anything for my cat, and I love her so much!

Thankyou

Kayla

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure about CRF,but my beloved little girl just got Feline hepatic Lipidosis, and my vet taught me how to give her subQ fluids at home, I know a lot of people do that for their CRF cats, to keep their bodies flushed and kidneys going.

I know with kismet (even though she was drinking) the fluids flushing her system everyday made a WORLD of difference, literally, she had more energy and it seems to be helping her get better. It's really easy to do, and it just helps their body out.......

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kayla,

I know it is a long one, but even if all you do is read and follow the links in the first couple of messages in this thread, I highly recommend you go here:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119727

It was put together for folks who have kitties with crf to help answer questions.

In the short time, I'd wonder what your gal's current lab values are, if she needs a phos binder or not with her food...there are reasons to give sub-q's besides loss of appetite, so honestly, I suspect your vet is not very aggressive with treating crf (there is a lot that can be done i.e. sometimes appetite falls off due to increased stomach acid and nausea - easily treated with pepcid).

Please...read the thread I gave a link to, it will give you answers without my writing a book here

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Hi Kayla,

I know it is a long one, but even if all you do is read and follow the links in the first couple of messages in this thread, I highly recommend you go here:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119727

It was put together for folks who have kitties with crf to help answer questions.

In the short time, I'd wonder what your gal's current lab values are, if she needs a phos binder or not with her food...there are reasons to give sub-q's besides loss of appetite, so honestly, I suspect your vet is not very aggressive with treating crf (there is a lot that can be done i.e. sometimes appetite falls off due to increased stomach acid and nausea - easily treated with pepcid).

Please...read the thread I gave a link to, it will give you answers without my writing a book here
Ditto and