Creese's Strange Behavior

honeybee1957

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have enjoyed everyone's post on this subject and kinda though the same as you .... either my cat is showing off/wants attention and/or is playing with his baby.

Creese walks around with one of his toy mice in his mouth - he just walks around from room to room meowing strangely. I have never had or seen another kitty that does this and I find it very funny!

First, since he is a male kitty, I thought he was bringing me a present, mocking that he caught his prey and wanted to show it off to me. But he doesn't drop it and he pays little attention to me when I talk to him about it. Sometimes he will drop it on the floor and just sit beside it for a little while. He has a favorite mouse he usually does this with, but I have seen him use other toy mice as well. He usually just walks around for about a minute or two, with it in his mouth and meowing. He looks like he wants to find a safe place to put it and I try to help, but he ignores me, ha ha.

Second, since he is a male kitty, I also thought about the baby thing, but could he have motherly instincts? I do call it his baby though!

I haven't tried to throw it to see how he reacts, so I will try that next time and post the results.

My cat Creese is so different from any cat I have ever had - he has a terrible water fetish and I have to keep his water bowl in the kitchen sink. Otherwise, he will play in it and spill water all over the floor - I have tried several times with the same results. He is fasinated by water. He used to purr, but I don't hear him do that any more. He used to kneed my hair and purr while he was doing it, but he stopped doing this after we moved. He has other weird habits too, like getting in the kitchen cabinets to take a nap. I love him to death, weirdness and all!!

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long has it been since you moved? Does he have more than one mouse toy?  Could you have accidently left one at the last house?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

honeybee1957

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi catspaw66. It has been almost a year since we moved and Creese has a whole bunch of toys, which all came with us when we moved. He plays with certain toys more often than others. Do you have any ideas of what his behavior means? Thanks for your response!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really have no idea, other than he is a cat. It may be he is asking to take the play to a new level.  If I really understood cat behavior, I would have my own personal submarine because I would be filthy rich.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My male cat does this and I think he's just carrying around his "prize".  I praise him and tell him he's such a good provider for us. 

muezza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was doing something very much the same, it was a new type of behavior. She would carry her toy around drop it and howl, did this for months and became more frequent, thought she was lonely? turns out she had bladder stones and she was trying to let me know about it, had to put her down yesterday.Hope this is not the case for your cat however do find out if it is a medical condition such as renal or urinary tract disease.My cat eventually was pissing blood and straining to urinate, I feel bad that I ignored her problem in its earlier stages.I wish you the best and hope all goes well for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

honeybee1957

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss - I will keep a close eye on Creese and you have helped me be aware of a possible medical problem.  Thank you.