Cream point kitten from Tortie mom?

Leesielocket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible for a very dark tortie to give birth to a cream or flame point kitten? I don't know who the dad is, but the mom is a dark tortie and the mom's mom was a yellow/orange tabby. My husband thinks she stole the kitten from another cat!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is perfectly normal if the parents carry the recessive gene for colorpoint.

In a young kitten it can be difficult to tell the difference between red point and cream point as they are both very light colors. How old are the kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leesielocket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info. There's just one kitten and he's 3 months old...the mom's name is Uno because she only has one kitten at a time! This one is the first point kitten, at other times she's had an almost solid black, a tortie, and an orange tabby.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So you mean, momma gets many litters? If you arent a breeder, its perhaps time for a little spaying?

Leesielocket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So you mean, momma gets many litters? If you arent a breeder, its perhaps time for a little spaying?
I am not a breeder, I am a feeder. We live out in the country and if a stray cat shows up at my house, I feed it. Uno's mom showed up during an ice storm a few years ago, I fed her and she blessed us with a litter of kittens. Uno is not a people cat, and has only recently started allowing us to pet her. But you are right, it is time for some spaying and I hope to be able to get that done soon!

Leesielocket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Attachments

Leesielocket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My tortie Willow (whose mom is a tortie as well) had another kitten who looked just like that.
He's so cute! And I love the name!
Thank you, and your kitties are so pretty with their green eyes! I don't know a thing about cat genetics and it just blows me away that a tortie could give birth to point kitten. When I was a kid, I found a beautiful, long haired himalayan adult male cat in the woods behind my house. He was very skiddish but after a couple of days, he warmed up to me and became my Monchichi. Since then, I've loved point cats but never had another one until my little Percy came along:-)