Cream Kitten

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats do not have any particular breed ancestry. Do you have pictures of the parents of the kitten? Breed characteristics are easier to identify in adults than in young kittens.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mother looks like a domestic longhair to me; I don't really see Persian or Ragdoll influence in her. Maybe when they say she is part Ragdoll, they just mean that one of her parents was a pointed longhaired cat? If she has any Persian ancestry, it is distant, I think.

The father could be a doll faced Persian, or Persian mix, although his coat is quite short. Perhaps his coat was clipped short for easier grooming? Or is he short haired? The reason I ask is that the kitten in your first post doesn't really look long haired, although that could change with time... but if his parents are both long haired, he would have to be a long haired kitten.

Is your friend a breeder, and producing these kittens on purpose? Has your friend done any health testing on the parents?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend owns the female cat, and she got the stud service for her litter. She's not a breeder, but she wants her Cat to be a mother before her cat will be spayed. For health testing, she just had vet visits.

Here's a bigger photo of her Cat:

And another photo for the Persian stud she chose for her cat:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, since both parents are clearly longhair, all of their kittens must be longhaired, even if they appear shorthaired as young kittens. (That is assuming the stud cat is indeed the father, and your friend's cat didn't manage to get out and mate with any other cat.)

From looking at these additional pictures of the parents, the stud male could potentially be a doll-faced Persian or a Persian mix. If he has pedigree papers, you would be able to tell if he is a pedigreed doll-faced Persian. If he has no papers, it's possible he is only part Persian. However, I can believe from the pictures that he could have at least some Persian ancestry.

With your friend's cat, I can't tell you from looking at her picture if she has any Persian or Ragdoll ancestry, or if she is simply a domestic longhair. Her face is a bit short, so she could have some Persian ancestry, but she doesn't look much like a Persian to me (even a doll-faced Persian). Does your friend have additional information on her cat's background? That would answer your question about ancestry better than we can from just looking at pictures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With your friend's cat, I can't tell you from looking at her picture if she has any Persian or Ragdoll ancestry, or if she is simply a domestic longhair. Her face is a bit short, so she could have some Persian ancestry, but she doesn't look much like a Persian to me (even a doll-faced Persian). Does your friend have additional information on her cat's background? That would answer your question about ancestry better than we can from just looking at pictures.
Hi! Sorry for the late reply. She just said that the grandfather was a solid ragdoll.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... Ragdolls aren't allowed in solid colors in any association I am aware of, although you will sometimes see solid colored outcrosses in a pedigree. Sometimes people have a very loose definition of Ragdoll, or assume that a cat is a Ragdoll because it has a very laid back personality. If the cats don't have paperwork, it's difficult to say what they may have in them.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Hmm... Ragdolls aren't allowed in solid colors in any association I am aware of, although you will sometimes see solid colored outcrosses in a pedigree. Sometimes people have a very loose definition of Ragdoll, or assume that a cat is a Ragdoll because it has a very laid back personality. If the cats don't have paperwork, it's difficult to say what they may have in them.
:yeah: Ragdolls have a very specific pattern to their coats, especially on the face. Your friend's cat does not have those clearly defined markings, which leads me to believe if there is any Ragdoll in there it was several generations back. Check out the breed standard on the CFA website to see what I'm talking about.

• Purraise
Reactions: Miu