Crazy wind - batten down the hatches!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really windy here this morning, so I thought I'd air the house out - it only takes a minute with this kind of wind. When I opened two windows and a door, the wind made a REALLY loud whistle going through the house! It spooked the kitties, lol, me too a little. 

We've noticed there's a whistle-like tone in the basement on windy days, too, but we can't find where it is. It must be the wind going through a crack or something from outside, but we've only noticed it this last year (have lived in this house almost 12 years).

The windstorms used to blow all our patio furniture to one corner of the deck, until we got really heavy chairs. Sometimes you can't even open the kitchen door because the wind is blowing on it so hard!  When we get hurricane-force winds, the rain hits the south windows horizontally against the panes - the rain hurts when it hits your face, if you go out in it. 

What about your weather - do you get crazy winds where you live? 

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Nebraska, part of tornado alley. We have 50-60mph winds here quite often especially this winter! The only thing good about the wind is it makes us REALLY enjoy the days that are calm! I try to hang seasonal things outside like wreaths, etc. but the 'banging' on the side of the house forces us to take them down after a while. I saw something last summer that was SO cool, I was on our 'hill' watering, it was about 100 degrees in the shade, and this huge wind came out of nowhere, you could actually hear it coming! It formed a huge 'dust devil' (a tiny tornado) over a place that my husband had just tilled for a new lawn, picked up lots of dirt, leaves, and anything else in it's path and came up the hill right past me! When it went through my garden it sucked up all my cantaloup and watermelon vines and took a bunch of that up into it's swirling mass too. it tried to suck up my tomatoes but thank goodness they were all caged. The noise was awesome! It was kind of scary though too but it happened so fast it didn't last long. My husband was standing in the yard and saw it, it even moved an old wooden wagon we had several feet, and that thing is heavy. One neighbor saw it too, I know no body would believe me, so I'm glad there were witnesses! 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had strong winds this morning but they seem to have calmed down a bit now.  At least the gusting.  It said 20mph gusting to 26 when I checked. When I got up today it was more like 32 gusting to 46.  Last spring was very windy here.  It seemed to always be making that deep, groany sound outside. 

At our old house I hated it!  We had a single wide trailer with metal siding and a metal roof.  The winter winds always blew right on our bedroom at one end of the house.  The siding and roof would buckle and move with the winds.  It sounded like giant cookie sheets or saws bending.  I'd wake up with headaches if I didn't go sleep on the couch!  When we moved into our house I was amazed at how quiet it was during storms; even though we are in a single story place.  Ahhhh.... quiet!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hopefully you didn't lose power! :cross: We had strong winds yesterday and they seem to be continuing this morning.