Crazy kitty after neutering!!!!!

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you know we brought cynder home after his neutering last night, well this cat has not stopped, first he played in the water dish for 2 hrs,scooping out all the water on the floor and was soaked, he hasn't really slept yet and he is tearing around this place like crazy, very odd behavior for him. my first concern is him going so crazy can he hurt his surgical area? and second is this still effects of the anesthetic and will it wear off eventually? im concerned more about him hurting himself, put my mind at ease people and tell me he will be ok. i caught a glimpse of his back end and the incision looks a little red and crusty, like its healing.. he has peed 3 times and pooped last night sometime although it looks like he is a bit constipated so im going to bring home some friskies kitty milk as i know that will loosen up the bowels..

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like he's coming down off the anesthesia! I'd keep an eye on him. If he doesn't calm down, call the vet and ask about side effects from the anesthesia.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cyndersmom

As you know we brought cynder home after his neutering last night, well this cat has not stopped, first he played in the water dish for 2 hrs,scooping out all the water on the floor and was soaked, he hasn't really slept yet and he is tearing around this place like crazy, very odd behavior for him. my first concern is him going so crazy can he hurt his surgical area?
He may just be very "happy" to be home. But yes, he can injure the surgical area. It depends on how the surgical site was closed, if it was stitched that would make it harder to injure the area. But sometimes other medthods are used.

and second is this still effects of the anesthetic and will it wear off eventually? im concerned more about him hurting himself,.
It should wear off in about twenty four hours. If you are concerned, just keep him confined to a small room (bathroom) or a dog crate. Until he is acting normal.

put my mind at ease people and tell me he will be ok. i caught a glimpse of his back end and the incision looks a little red and crusty, like its healing.. he has peed 3 times and pooped last night sometime although it looks like he is a bit constipated so im going to bring home some friskies kitty milk as i know that will loosen up the bowels..
The constipation is due to the anesthetic in most cases. His bowel movements should be back to normal in about forty eight hours.