Crazy Kitten

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So that kitten I took in a while back, she has a ton of energy and is always playing... But she uses her claws and latches on to legs to where it hurts and gets bloody but you can tell shes not being vicious. She does that randomly then goes back to being sweet and cuddly... What can I do to get her to not get used to this behavior or will she grow out of it?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Young kittens tend to play rough, because that’s how they would interact with their litter mates. Fortunately, there are some steps you can take to reduce this behavior during your playtime with him. This article: How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats explains more about playtime aggression and how to stop it. For my Charlie, what worked best was redirecting the aggression toward a toy. Kickaroos are very popular among cats and great for this purpose.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens do play rough! I have been embarrassed by my hands and arms when we have a few kittens in house :) But they sure are fun too..lol I try my best as abyeb said to redirect their attention to toys. Kickers, or a stuffed toy about the same size as the kitten. also feather wands such as the da bird will wear them out, and lots of fun for us as well :) She will eventually grow out of it, for the most part, but my adults even get a little carried away sometimes

Guccismama

Blue Russian with Attitude lol
Kitten
Purraise
Please do NOT think I hit my animals, But..When Gucci gets over zealous,running and jumping on the tables with my china,and just being wild, I just take out the fly swatter. I don't hit him with it, he knows that he is allowed to run and play,but he will purposely do what he is not allowed if I have been gone too long,or someone visits too long. He doesn't like the sound of the swatter movement if I flap it fast through the air. Now when he sees it, (because I did it close to his ear once when he was trying over and over to knock my glass off the end table with his paws, he runs the other way and plays with his ball toy. He really wants my stuff,so that is why I came on here, I am curious of his behaviour,so I will post and describe, and let you know any other ideas that come my way. I will finish by saying this, if your cat shows fear of the swatter,Discontinue use!..this is kind of my part of his game,but he knows I mean business as well,he knows what NO means,so I say that when I swoop it through the air in the area he is trying to get at. if he was afraid,it could lead to him being afraid of me.Not what we want..just the noise, or a water pistol shot on the but can work too..:)

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
First, most kittens are insane for a large part or all of their kitten hood. Manners develop slowly and they don’t really start settling down until they are at least one year old. But that doesn’t mean they can’t learn some things. Never play with her using your hands directly, always have a toy available for her to latch onto or to kick. If she starts going for your ankles, stop, stamp your feet and use your firmest mom voice to tell her no. If she bites anyway, peel her off, tell her no biting and set her down someplace else, like on a sofa or bed in a different room with a toy. You will probably need to repeat this dozens of times before it starts sinking in that biting isnt allowed. And you will need to be persistent and stick with the same words and actions every time.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first read the title to your thread I laughed because all kittens are crazy. You need to teach that what she is doing HURTS and will not be rewarded with play. A high pitch OW or a hiss followed by ignoring her for 15-30 minutes should help. Also some members resorted to carrying toys in their pockets. When their kitten got that look, they tossed the toy, re-dirrecting the kitten. Lastly play, play & more play.