Crazy Kitten

kbee13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys -- I'm new to the site, but also I have a kitten that is almost a year old. She was spayed in September, and ever since then she gets very angry if you touch her tummy and certain parts on her back legs. She also tends to get matted under her armpits -- she's a looooooong haired cat, and while when she was little I brushed her out, she has gotten irrationally angry when I try ever since she was spayed. Sometimes I try and cut her matts out, but she gets even MORE irrationally angry. Does anyone have any tips? I want to keep brushing her, but I cannot handle the pain with the biting and scratching. She's only been this way since was spayed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess she is touchy now that she got 'hurt' there. You might try some calming treats to see if that would help with her anger issues. You might just brush her where ever she DOES enjoy it to get her used to the whole process again, most cats do like to be brushed. She could be developing a low tolerance to being stroked or handeled now that she is older, I've had several females like that. See if you can stroke or brush her for a SHORT amount of time, and then quit before she gets angry.  I hope it resolves itself. Good luck!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a shame that she has become so sensitive to touch. Have you asked your vet about it, to check if there are any issues following the surgery?

Generally I would try to build up her tolerance to touch, perhaps by using bendable rods from toys, or bendy straws touching first bits that she likes and then gently and breifly parts she seems sensitive to, build up trust first touching comfortable bits and offering treats as you move towards areas she is sensitive to.

prowlingkitkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have any advice for you, because the family cat has that same issue and we just deal with it. It's kind of like PTSD. She remembers the pain she felt when she was spayed, and every time she's touched there it triggers that memory. Not all cats do this. My youngest doesn't have that problem. I pet the family cat differently than I do my cats because she'll bite if touched in certain places. I would give it time for now. She might come around. And if she doesn't, you'll learn to adjust

malt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Jasmine likes having tummy tickles, chest scratchies, scratchies on her cheeks and back of her neck, and being stroked right down her back and her tail. But if you try to touch her lower sides or back legs or feet, especially when she is lying down, she will turn around and sink her claws and teeth into you about as quickly as you can blink. We have just learned not to touch her sides/legs - there are plenty of places and ways she likes to be touched, so we make a fuss of her how she likes while respecting her boundaries. But she doesn't have long fur that matts :/ 

You might want to start off with just making a fuss of your cat in a way she enjoys, to let her get used to being touched so she can understand that touching from you can be really nice. Then you can move on from there by brushing her in the places she doesn't mind being touched. If you have someone who can help you, get them to hold her by the scruff of the neck so she can't wriggle so you can safely cut the matts out of her fur. It won't be the prettiest job, but it'll be faster than brushing them out and therefore less upsetting for her. Over time maybe she will even learn to enjoy brushies again. I don't envy you having a long-haired cat with this problem! 

I'm sorry your cat is acting this way. I'm sure whatever is wrong, it can be overcome with patience, love, and compromise. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having a similar problem with a recently spayed kitten, but I have put it down of sensitivity in the area. My Bluebelle had a bad time with her spay - she opened the wound in spite of the stitches, had staples put in whch she tore apart then had two more external stitches. By the time she had all the stitches out the vet had a hard time finding them. She still hates being touched near the tummy. Maybe a vet check for yours is in order to make sure there is nothing there that could still be causing her pain, and to look at the scar tissue.

evushka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Probably something disturbs her. So the cat when something hurts her conducts.
Address to the veterinarian, just in case.