crazy kitten...

minette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so since I got my two months old kitten she's been really really excited at night time. When I get up to go to bed it's like she turns into this bundle of hyperactiveness. Since I'm used to it I usually didn't pay most attention to my kitten running around, springting round and round on my bed and getting all up in my face. I have a long distance relationship with my boyfriend since I moved to go to College, and he came to visite me till monday. Yesterday was the first night he slept at my place with my crazy kitten running around like she's on fire or something. He can't stand the kitten running around. I understand because occasionally can't sleep because of her excitement.

Any suggestions for my crazy night kitten?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try some intensive play sessions before bedtime. Use wand toys like Da Bird, play fetch with her if she'll do it, or even get a laser pointer. I haven't seen a guy yet that isn't entertained by the kitten and laser pointer combination, so it could serve as extra entertainment for him when he's around.

This will only wear her out for a few hours, though. I can't promise that she'll suddenly sleep through the whole night and behave like an adult cat. In fact you'll probably only wind her for 2-3 hours.
Lots of toys to keep her busying elsewhere in the home or another cat could help.

Otherwise, this is the joy of having a kitten.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a typical kitten and you need to get your boyfriend to understand that. When you go to bed, try closing the bedroom door and just let her run and play in the rest of your home.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a hint: However he treats the cat is how he'll treat kids, to a large extent. If he can't make allowances for her personality, that should be a warning flag to you.

However, I've found a LOT of people who have never had cats have a hard time understanding them.

But, to some extent, we've all experienced what some call "the ten o'clock crazies." It must have some root in cat evolution, it's so common.

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww give the guy a break. Some people just aren't really cat people, and even if they are, living with a kitten is very different than living with a cat.

I had a friendly make a funny analogy to me the other day, about why he prefers cats to dogs. He said "Basically, I just ask my self, would I rather have a family member who is very cool and sophisticated, or one who is jumping drooling and chewing slippers?" haha, well, we all know that kittens will eventually become cool and sophisticated, but in the mean time there are some ways to make lemonade out of lemons!

Like it was already suggested, try to wear your kitten out at bedtime. If Freddie is being especially mischevious when I am getting ready to sleep, sometimes I put him in his crate for the night. This isn't a problem for him because he was originally a shelter cat. I should elaborate though, I bought small dog crates for my cats because I think they're safer for travel and are good safety zones for when the cat feels scared. In them I have a small ziti tray filled with litter, and a little food and water. This gives me piece of mind at night and when I'm away from the house for too long because I am afraid of Freddie chewing wires or getting into other things that could potentially hurt him.

I'm pretty sure that cats are more active at night because it's when they would do a lot of hunting if they were still in the wild. Another way I curbed this problem when Raymond was a kitten was by feeding him at night. In my experience, cats are creatures of habit and create routines. Both Freddie and Raymond eat, poop, sleep, then play. So if you can get them into that routine, you'll find yourself getting more sleep, and hearing less complaining from your boyfriend!

Good luck!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google tends to be like this. We have a turbo scratcher and lots of toys in the living room for him to play with and that usually keeps him mostly entertained!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that you need to get into a routine. I have a 4 month old and have had him since mid-July. We have a big, rough playtime just before bedtime, then I feed him and we turn the lights out and go to bed. He settles down and goes to sleep and sleeps through the night. If we vary that routine, he's WILD!
He gets in the blinds, starts playing with all his toys, and runs all over the house.