Crazy Kitten Nighttime Antics - Help!

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 6 month old, Clove, is EXTEREMELY high-energy and has been an absolute nightmare at night. She is driving me crazy! I am writing this at 7am after maybe 3 hours of sleep all night. :( I live in a studio apartment where the bed is upstairs in a loft, so there’s no way I can shut her out while I sleep. Clove presumably sleeps for the 9-10 hours a day while I’m at work and then is awake and playing almost all the rest of the time. She has two different kinds of circuit track toys, a variety of mousies, kick toys, catnip toys, her favorite plushie toy, balls to roll around, a huge cat tree, three other scratchers, a cardboard box maze, fresh water and food to nibble on overnight, a clean litter box, and plenty of room to run around and play. I play with her with a wand toy every night, getting her running and jumping until she is exhausted laying on her side and panting. She and Chilli play CONSTANTLY throughout the day, wrestling and chasing each other at top speed. I also play fetch with her plushie toy for as long as she will keep bringing it back. She gets a nice big meal of wet food right before bed. She gets plenty of cuddles and attention and treats whenever I’m home. I never play with her upstairs because I want her to associate playtime with downstairs only. NONE of that has helped with the nighttime insanity.

At nighttime, she doesn’t want to play with ANY of the fun toys downstairs, eve though during the daytime she’s great at entertaining herself. She doesn’t want to play with Chilli either. She doesn’t want pets or food or attention. The only thing she wants, seemingly, is to find as many naughty activities as she can upstairs in the loft and do them as loudly as possible. I’ve had to hide my phone charger and charge it in the morning instead because she will so adamantly attack the cords (even with bitter apple sprayed all over it to the point where I was gagging from the fumes—didn’t seem to faze her at all!). She will bring her plushie toy upstairs and throw it at the wall and then bodyslam into the wall to get it over and over and over. (This is a loft, so it’s close quarters—a couple feet from my face at most.) If I put the plushie downstairs, she will run and get it and bring it back up again. She will attack my extra pillow that she couldn’t care less about during the day and scratch it as loudly as she can. She will simply jump up against the walls as high as she can for fun and then race in circles around and around the bed. Last night she started attacking and biting the sides of mattress, something she has NEVER done during the day. She also will attack my arms and legs—just playfully, but she does not do this AT ALL during the day and is normally very gentle. The worst thing is that I have a floor-to-ceiling barrier constructed to keep kitties from going over the bannister of the loft. She has left it completely alone for months... but now she has started to attack that too. It’s fairly flimsy (but it’s the best I can do right now) so I am very worried that she will destroy it and fall over the edge. Again, she doesn’t touch it during the day and is sleeping peacefully up in the loft when I get home from work. Even in the rare moments she is quiet at night, I’m not sleeping well because I always have to worry about if she’s quietly chewing through the barrier. All of this isn’t just for an hour or two—it’s CONSTANT. For hours and hours with no sign of her getting tired.

Most of the time, she knows and responds to the word “no” and a stern voice, and downstairs during the daytime she is an easy kitten to deal with. If she starts messing with the TV cords, I just tell her “no” firmly and she will slink away and then happily go and play with a mousie or something. But at night it’s almost like she feeds off the word “no”! She will stare at me purring and then sink her teeth into the phone charger cord in front of my eyes while I tell her “no”! I even tried a spray bottle briefly for the dangerous stuff—cords and biting the barrier—and at first it worked perfectly within two or three sprays. She didn’t touch either of them for days. I thought my problems were solved. But then she decided the water is fun and likes to pounce on the spray bottle and play in the water, and it doesn’t faze her to get sprayed. So much for that.

I am really not sure what else I can do. I already tire her out as much as I possibly can through playtime and am interacting with her nonstop. I’m fine with her being awake and playful—she is a kitten after all—but I just want her to play with the menagerie of toys DOWNSTAIRS like she does in the daytime. When she’s upstairs it almost seems like she’s bored and is just looking for something to do... but bringing toys upstairs is not an option because it is even more annoying and loud. Even when she brings her soft plushie up here she manages to make it as noisy as possible.

Anyway, all of that to say... help! I need some suggestions! Unfortunately, getting another kitten is not an option in my small apartment. :(

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi after enough insomnia I would start searching for a large used dog crate to lock her in if she wakes you up.

Meantime I would try ear plugs, a loud fan or two and as someone said they did .... Sami g her up by doing things around her to wake her up from 6pm on.... so hopefully she learns to sleep at night.

I would also put sticky Tape on the dresser where you would like to charge your cell .... maybe even a dummy charging cord to see if she can leave it be.

:hangin:

calikitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had to keep ours in the bathroom at night for a few months...now they are about a year old and one of them can spend the nught without waking us but the ither gets up to play before dawn so we usually put them in a separate room. They complained at first but got used to it.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
With my now one year old kitty I had to hide all the plushie toys or she would bring them into the bed and throw them and jump all around...every night. If I missed one and she brought it up, I would grab it and stick it under my pillow. That won't solve all of it but part of it :hyper::)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi after enough insomnia I would start searching for a large used dog crate to lock her in if she wakes you up.

Meantime I would try ear plugs, a loud fan or two and as someone said they did .... Sami g her up by doing things around her to wake her up from 6pm on.... so hopefully she learns to sleep at night.

I would also put sticky Tape on the dresser where you would like to charge your cell .... maybe even a dummy charging cord to see if she can leave it be.

:hangin:
Unfortunately, been there done that with the dog crate—she recently finished her 6 weeks (!!) of crate rest for her broken toes in a crate. It was screaming and howling all night long to be let out—not much sleep was had then either.

I can try the fan. The problem is I’m just so paranoid about her hurting herself that I think I will feel the constant need to wake up and check on her if I can’t hear. I don’t have a dresser (mattress is on the floor) but maybe I’ll try putting sticky tape on the charger itself and see if biting that is unpleasant enough!

We had to keep ours in the bathroom at night for a few months...now they are about a year old and one of them can spend the nught without waking us but the ither gets up to play before dawn so we usually put them in a separate room. They complained at first but got used to it.
I wish I had a separate room besides my tiny bathroom. I guess I could lock her in there but it seems so mean to put her in there alone when Chilli is in the rest of the house. I know she would scream a lot... see crate rest experience above. :p

With my now one year old kitty I had to hide all the plushie toys or she would bring them into the bed and throw them and jump all around...every night. If I missed one and she brought it up, I would grab it and stick it under my pillow. That won't solve all of it but part of it :hyper::)
Haha, that’s what I did last night! I felt like such a mean mom!

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
I would try the bathroom with lots of toys in there, it would just be at night and you need your sleep, to work and take care of her, explain it to her that way :devilish:. And you play with her lots. Once she calms down she's free. May scream at first or body slam the door, but then become resigned to the fact? Worth a try. With a fan going for you for noise masking. And a towel in there with your scent on it?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, Clove. You're determined to drive your mommy crazy, aren't you. :catman:

About her night-time escapades, I'm thinking the bathroom too, because sleep deprivation is no fun. And you can't be either worrying about her all night long, or trying to discipline her all night long. As long as she has food, water, litter box and toys, she may not be happy, but she'll be safe.

It's (hopefully) just a phase, and once she's older and learns your routine, she'll start sleeping more at night. Right now, however, she's not just a rambunctious, energetic kitten, she a kitten who finally has full freedom again, so maybe she's also making up for all that lost time.

If you haven't already read it, here's a TCS article on Cats And Night Crazies! that might be helpful, or at least reassure you that Clove is normal. :catlove:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing is, you know, she's played with Chili all day, which she adored. BUT NOW YOU ARE HOME.YOU who has been gone ALL DAY are now home!!! Chili is sacked out and Clove has you YOU all to HERSELF!!! and all she has to do is go upstairs. She probably spends hours every day thinking of things you can do together at night. She may have spent a couple of hours searching upstairs for toys to share with you.

You love it, you know you do. You thought of that great move the plushie game! and she's right there with you. If you throw it down the stairs she'll retrieve it for you.

Suggestion, surprise there is one, just as Chili does, curl up, tuck your head under the covers (you're lucky it's still winter) and pretend like mad to be asleep. When you hear a crash, don't jump up unless there's a kit scream. Lie there and figure out what the crash was. Stay still. Keep your breathing and heart rate even, she can hear them.

good luck.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Only a response to the phone cord situation, but have you tried a cord protector like PetCords, or even just some PVC? Mine eventually got bored of trying to chew through once I put those on.

Actually, putting most of the toys away might help. If she has fewer things to share with you, maybe she'll settle down.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Lelia was going through her cord chewing phase, I had my laundry basket next to the socket and buried most of the cord and phone in clothes when charging. Then the cord for the alarm clock went behind the basket.

You can kind of see it in the right hand corner of kitten Lelia being a weirdo here. The cord being mostly out of sight worked for her.
20171114_161544.jpg

She started sleeping with me I think even before she let me pet her, so nighttime antics weren't too bad otherwise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! Sorry for the late reply—I’ve been busy AND sleep deprived. We’ve had good nights and bad nights. I’m doing the best I can to keep the house spotless of naughty things she can get into, and to wear her out as much as I can before bed. When she’s annoying upstairs, I’ve been calmly and silently picking her up and setting her halfway down the stairs and then lying down again. She bounds back up and I do it again and again until she gets bored and stays downstairs and plays for a while there.

I love the little brat, but oh my goodness, sometimes I swear I am NEVER getting a kitten again! At least not a solo kitten! She is making me crazy! :dizzy:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being carried half way down the stairs and running back up...sounds like a cat game. But then so does climbing the child gate, which I discovered yesterday will not stop a large mostly lab who wants to rescue the kit locked away from her. They are now separated by the growling duvet, which lab respects way more than the child gate.

Have you considered a bucket of balls without bells in them at the top of the stairs? Or the bottom of the stairs if you've got a good throwing arm. Running up stairs should be exhausting even for a kitten, though maybe not Clove the dynamic.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear there are some good nights. When picking her up and taking her down, that can be attention for her and a game, which she is wanting. I'd go full on ignore with your head under the pillow/covers as Kflowers suggested- I have had to do that and they do can get bored and go away. I have also tried, when Mooshoo was jumping all around the bed, to rear up suddenly and medium-yell "rawr!!" at her with my hands up. Not loud enough to terrorize, but to be somewhat unpleasant for her and get the message across. It didn't make her scared of me, just associated something unpleasant with her doing acrobatics on the bed when the room is dark. She has plenty of other places to play.
It will calm down, rest assured!!