'Crazy Cat Lady'

emma25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I'm Emma and I am currently studying Graphic Design at university. My love for cats has led to me dedicating my current project to them, and I would love your input!

My project focuses on the stereotype of the 'crazy cat lady' and the fact that 56% of people think that having the negative stigma removed will result in more cats being adopted.

As part of my research stage I am hoping to gather some feedback from cat owners and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could answer these questions or just reply with any fun or unusual things they do with their cats. For example, take them on walks or celebrate their birthdays.

What do you think of when I say 'crazy cat lady'?

Would you say the term is positive or negative?

Would you call yourself a crazy cat lady?

Any unusual cat accessories/clothes?

Do you have any cat related knicknacks in your house? For example: cat tea towels 

Cat stories or anything else would also be very helpful, thank you so much for your time!

Emma x

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Emma. Just wanted to say that I think that is a great topic for a project! Will answer your questions and then try to give some of my own stories to help. I've had cats since I was born, and don't know what it is like to NOT have cats, nor do I ever want to know what that's like. 

I think if I were to have a picture in my head, it would be a cartoon of a older woman with frazzled grey hair holding several cats, and surrounded by even more all rubbing on her and meowing. Mainly because that seems to be how others have depicted it. Every person I've known that dubbed themselves a "crazy cat lady" was someone who had pets and absolutely loved all of them. They also spend time helping other animals (not just cats) have better lives.

I don't consider it a bad thing. It's not the same as a "hoarder". Unfortunately too many people equate the two, which is sad. 

Absolutely! And seeing as I consider it a good thing, I wouldn't have it any other way. It means I've given many critters a chance at life. I wish I could give so many more a chance, but I try my best to do my part. And if anyone thinks I'm literally crazy because of that, well then, that's their problem.

I'm sure I do, though I can't think of what specifically at the moment. Have shirts with kitties on them. Not sure how unusual that is though. 

Do you have any cat related knicknacks in your house? For example: cat tea towels 

Have some little statues of kitties (lots of those actually). Have a shadow box full of them. Stuffed animals of course, quite a few. And after my Lucky died, I had a couple of photo blankets made with him on them. I'm sure some folks would say that put me over the edge of the 'crazy' threshold. Oh well.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

A well meaning woman who nonetheless has 50 cats in her house and lands herself on the front page of a local newspaper after an SPCA raid. Unfortunately I have seen this happen several times. But I also know some people carry the label with pride, and there are lots of great women who dedicate their lives to helping cats.

Among the general population? Negative. Among cat lovers? It can be positive.

I'm a guy, so no. I only have one cat, and he's devilishly handsome, inimitably charming, and possessed of a rare intelligence when it comes to figuring out how to get more food. Also, he's my best little Buddy.

Wait, did you say "devilishly handsome"?

Yup. Like Derek Zoolander would say, he's "Really, really, really ridiculously good looking." 

I have a coffee mug shaped like a cat's head, and a custom mouse pad with my favorite photo of Bud as a kitten printed on it. Both were gifts. I also made a custom perch for my cat using materials from Home Depot, because of the relative lack of high spaces in my home.

Nope.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

emma25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow thank you so much for taking the time to reply, you've been lots of help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emma25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply!

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do I think when you I hear "crazy cat lady?"

I envision the typical person saying that as some guy with 6 hunting dogs he keeps tied to a chain in the yard.

Positive or negative?

Among cat aficionados, a positive.

Yes, I am a crazy cat lady...crazy for cats. People...not so much.

Clothes, knickknacks?

I think so...a fleece sweater. Not over the top. One mug with a cat on it bought for me for my birthday. If given the choice between spending $60 on some frivolous cat item, and buying my cat a condo or toy, I'd prefer the cat gets the item. After all, he lives his whole life in a small space, and it hardly seems right to deny him some fun. Ps my cat is the Original ridiculously handsome cat. [emoji]128521[/emoji]

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Well, not the stereotypical response.  Crazy about cats.  I qualify, and I only have one cat at present.  However, not since I acquired my first kitteh at age three have I been more than 2 months without a cat in my house.

That depends entirely on whether or not your are a cat person,  Like Donutte, I differentiate between a "crazy cat lady," who might only have one or two animals that she goes all out for, and a hoarder, who is a sad, unbalance person who needs help, understanding, compassion, and more help.

Oh, yeah.  I'd do anything for the cat I have, and I canNOT be without a cat or I get very irritable.  I've had as many as five at one time in the past, and every one was spoiled rotten.

Not unusual, I don't think.  Unless you count that fact that Hekitty has a toy box that rivals the average three year old child's.  Every kind of mousie, wand toy, laser toy, catnip holder, treat dispenser known to man is in there, along with screwed-up and knotted cracker sleeves (a favorite).  She has a beautiful black collar with silver moons and stars and a little pentacle charm, and a matching leash.  Not that she'll wear them.  Cat jacket on order.

Very little, oddly.  I have a cat key chain,  I have a plaque on the hallway wall that says, "Cats leave pawprints on your heart," and one in the kitchen that says, "In this house, cat hair is a condiment," and  I have a Gary Patterson calendar, and a coffee mug by same.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
 Ps my cat is the Original ridiculously handsome cat. [emoji]128521[/emoji]
Then I think we need a walk-off, old-school rules, judged by David Bowie. :)

Also, I just want to add that my definition of "crazy cat lady" is informed by being a metro newspaper reporter. I was the guy the SPCA contacted when they had a story they wanted to publicize, and inevitably that included serious cases of animal abuse, as well as animal hoarding. I have a gripe with the SPCA in that they often seem to make these busts, then say they're forced to "destroy" the animals afterwards like they're broken toys, but that's a different story. Point is, some of that stuff is difficult to see.

Anyway, I want to say that I have enormous respect for people who foster and run rescues, and I don't mean to disparage anyone.

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I think "Ugh" because that means I have to listen to whoever has called me that tell me that I'm going to become old and live with 50 cats. And then I always think, you don't need 50 cats to be a crazy cat lady, besides, the quality of care is more important than the amount of kitties I am expected to have to qualify as a crazy cat lady. 

It depends on the context but it's mostly negative. When it's said to me or I say it myself, it's teasing and sometimes fun. When the general public talks about crazy cat ladies, it's negative. 

No. I thought about giving into the term but I've only had my cat for less than a year. Although, I've built up a great reputation among my family and friends and they have started to call me the Cat Whisperer. Before, they would call me a crazy cat lady, but after demonstrating my knowledge of cats (and making them love cats), their perspective of me and cats has changed to something more positive.

My sister bought me a t-shirt from Hot Topic that has a cat with sunglasses with the words, "Deal With It" in the background. My friend also bought me a cat wallet which I use to store cash I want to save. 

Nope (not yet!)

Cat stories

I "walk" my cat (which basically means putting him on a leash and letting him explore the yard and around the house under supervision. The outdoor cat experience without the danger!) and we also have a resident black squirrel who is very fat and very daring. One day, I let my cat, Ming, go into the backyard and I left for a minute to go inside to finish up some things. I came back out to hear loud SQUAKING noises and Ming sitting and staring at the tree. I look up, and there's the resident squirrel, screaming for dear life! It was such a funny site and I learned squirrels are actually extremely loud and territorial. 

Another cat story that I love to tell is the love between Ming and my mom. My mom was very reluctant in letting me adopt a cat. When I showed Ming to her at the shelter, she had many negative things to say about him in hopes of dissuading me from getting a cat. She said he was dirty looking, fat, and ugly! Fast forward a week or so after we adopted Ming (after A LOT of begging on my part), and my mom did a complete 180. My mom is so in love with Ming and there's very little Ming can do wrong in her mind. She gave me a lot of rules before adoption - telling me that no cats are allowed on the table, in rooms, on my bed, etc. but now, Ming has full reign of the house. I have many pictures of my mom eating dinner and Ming is just sprawled on the dinner table. 
My mom even encourages him to jump onto the counters because she thinks it's impressive that he can jump so high! 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny thought to ponder - I know a guy that recently adopted a kitten. He's mad-crazy about this kitten, and posts pics on FB like people post pics of the babies. Every day. He said one of his friends told him he's very close to getting into crazy cat lady status (over the one cat) and if loving this little life means he's a crazy cat lady, then so be it.

And funny thing about myself - I'm very close to the stereotypical view of a crazy cat lady. Not married, no kids, bunch of cats. I have other friends like this too, and I'm perfectly happy with these guys. Having this little life depend on me is so humbling, and doing so knowing we're likely going to be heartbroken over and over again says so much about us - about most of the folks here actually. Now some may say we are crazy in that respect ("masochistic" is the word someone used). I don't think of it that way, but rather we just have that much love to give.

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hello all,

I'm Emma and I am currently studying Graphic Design at university. My love for cats has led to me dedicating my current project to them, and I would love your input!

My project focuses on the stereotype of the 'crazy cat lady' and the fact that 56% of people think that having the negative stigma removed will result in more cats being adopted.

As part of my research stage I am hoping to gather some feedback from cat owners and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could answer these questions or just reply with any fun or unusual things they do with their cats. For example, take them on walks or celebrate their birthdays.

<snip>

Cat stories or anything else would also be very helpful, thank you so much for your time!

Emma x

5+ cats and cute cat videos/lolcats

For me personally it's positive. It's definitely used both negatively and positively.

Yes (although I only have 2 cats). I recall even being a small child and telling people I wanted to grow up to be a crazy cat lady.

My husband (who is also a crazy cat lady) has at least several cat-themed tshirts. I don't really wear many things with graphics/prints, but I've had some cat-printed tights in the past. I do like cat-themed clothing in theory.

I have some cat coffee mug, and some figurines. 

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

a cat afficianado. Like the guy I know with 14 dogs.(seriously!)

positive if you like cats. I don't like the term crazy though

my daughter calls me that. And I only have one cat!

a jacket for Comet, a santa suit for Comet, a cat stroller, more cat furniture than human furniture

no, but hopefully I will get some at the after Christmas sales

Comet rules the house. His needs before mine. He's my baby and I wouldn't have it any other way.

castle cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

One who’s very fond of cats and cares for them. Never forgets to mention to her friends and relatives (and even to strangers) about her cat(s) antics. Feeds stray cats.

To ailurophobes the term is definitely negative and to ailurophiles the phrase is tremendously positive.

I am a man. I would call myself an ardent ailurophile. 

My pupils at the school call me ‘Kattegal’ in Norwegian, (crazy for cats).

I have mentioned about my Jethro to many, many people.  Whenever an opportunity arose I showed the picture of my beloved late Jethro to anyone who cared to listen about him or showed interest in cats. His picture is still in the phone. I miss my Jethro. He’s at the Bridge waiting for me.

My late Jethro’s undisturbed snow white eiderdown bed(s). In all 9 beds he had. His expensive designer bowls and plates are still on the table. 

A beautiful small statue of Egyptian Bastet bought in Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, two ball-point pens (never used) and finally a wooden figure of cat relaxing on a book.

About cat stories. The space is not enough.

Castle Cat (Late Jethro's obedient servant)

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
  1. Crazy cat lady equates to cat hoarder in my mind.   Lonely, doesn't like people but loves her cats in her own selfish way (doesn't seem to notice that hoarding is hurting the cats more than anything)
  2. Negative
  3. No.  I only have the two.  And I don't buy them fancy things or see them as my "babies". 
  4. Not really.  The cats like paper roll tubes or chasing the kids' toys.  
  5. Nope.  I might go out of my way to get some outfits for my daughter that have cats on them but little girls' clothes are supposed to have cute animals on them.  I also focus on other critters (penguins and lady bugs are my other big loves) too so it's not an exclusively cat thing.  My daughter also really likes cats.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hello all,

TO me "Crazy cat lady" reminds me of somebody who has more cats than they can properly care for.

Definitely negative, unless done in a joking manner like sometimes it is.

No.

No clothes or acessories

I have some cat figurines, a few wall pictures and a couple of stuffed animals.

Emma x