Crazy cat eats everything!

kestria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one normal cat and one crazy cat that eats everything. It doesn't matter what it is, strawberries, oranges, dry rice/pasta, literally a worm, she tries to eat it. It's getting really annoying because I can't leave anything out on the counter without her destroying it overnight. I had a bag of oatmeal cookies which she tore into it and ate. A bag of birdseed, which she ripped into and ate. An unpeeled orange, which she chewed up. So far the only thing that repels her is a lemon. This can't be normal right? My other cat will only eat cat food and meaty foods. He's disgusted by everything else. But this second cat is driving me crazy. She gets plenty of perfectly good dry and wet food to eat but the moment you look away, she's trying to eat a banana or something. Is this some kind of medical condition?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally think she needs to be checked out by a vet. The first thing that comes to mind is a condition called pica where an animal (or human!) eats inappropriate non-food items. Your vet can do tests to make sure she isn't deficient in any nutrients that may cause her to have weird cravings.

If everything comes back normal, you just have to cat-proof all of your food items. :/ I feel your pain, we have to do that with bread, because my cats will tag-team and ruin a whole loaf!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kestria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's very interesting that she chewed on an orange. Most cats despise anything citrus.
That's what I thought too. She hates lemons but I guess oranges are not citrus-y enough to repel her.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she and what is her weight? If she is the kitten mentioned in your other posts then is it possible that she may just be very very hungry? Until a kitten is a year old they need wet food several times a day and dry food available all the time. And sometimes during growth spurts they may be ravenous.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is her history? Feral? Stray? It could be a extreme case of food insecurit7.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one normal cat and one crazy cat that eats everything. It doesn't matter what it is, strawberries, oranges, dry rice/pasta, literally a worm, she tries to eat it. It's getting really annoying because I can't leave anything out on the counter without her destroying it overnight. I had a bag of oatmeal cookies which she tore into it and ate. A bag of birdseed, which she ripped into and ate. An unpeeled orange, which she chewed up. So far the only thing that repels her is a lemon. This can't be normal right? My other cat will only eat cat food and meaty foods. He's disgusted by everything else. But this second cat is driving me crazy. She gets plenty of perfectly good dry and wet food to eat but the moment you look away, she's trying to eat a banana or something. Is this some kind of medical condition?
My cat has been doing something similar but instead, she literally licks the walls and floor. She eats cobwebs, leaves, licks the carpet, the kitchen cabinets, our brick fireplace (no longer being used so no issues with fire or getting burned), absolutely everything. As soon as she gets up in the morning she just walks around the house, going from corner to corner, and cleaning up all of the cobwebs. Helpful? Yes, but definitely strange.